K-Tec

Astronomy Ireland seem ok on price

More
17 years 6 months ago #33728 by Mikey fergus
Replied by Mikey fergus on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland seem ok on price
Hi guys

I recently got an 11" sgt(xlt) from A&I. I was quoted 3800e. I had a look at the english prices (2966e) and gave them a ring. They said they would try and meet the price and then gave me a quote of 3300. (taking into account shipping etc.) So i went ahead and got the scope. Not sure if the conversion is exact but it seems close enough. Plus if theres any problems with the scope their just up the road. They were very helpful and there was no problem regarding the decrese in price. I suppose if your thinking of getting a product imported just give them a ring and see! I was happy enough anyway. Pretty cloudly up here in south Dublin> :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #33730 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland seem ok on price

I recently got an 11" sgt(xlt) from A&I. I was quoted 3800e. I had a look at the english prices (2966e) and gave them a ring. They said they would try and meet the price and then gave me a quote of 3300. (taking into account shipping etc.)

Or put another way, they were quite happy to rip you off by over 500 euro until you pulled them up on it.

Good example of what I said in another thread people really need to check out a variety of dealers before buying. Glad you got the scope at a price you are happy with, and yea its still cloudy in South Dublin!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 6 months ago #33732 by Mikey fergus
Replied by Mikey fergus on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland seem ok on price
True you deffo need to shop around. The first scope i got was from A&I (C4-R). I got it for 899. I had never looked through a scope before. All i knew is that i loved the sky and i needed to see what was out there. I was actually gonna get one of those photo shop scopes! The girlfriend found A&I on the net and thought we should go out there. After i got the scope (even though i love it) it does annoy me a bit that in england the same scope is only 369e. Its is a big difference!

Neil

More
17 years 6 months ago #33740 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland seem ok on price

Celestron do a 6" Mak?

In case anyone was wondering...

I got a mail from AI this morning telling me that the Celestron do 130mm Maks (5"). The products are:
www.celestron.com/c2/product.php?ProdID=43
www.celestron.com/c2/product.php?ProdID=58

David says that their prices are now internationally competitive.

Clear Skies,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 6 months ago #33742 by TrevorDurity
Replied by TrevorDurity on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland seem ok on price
My ASGT cost €1300 last November. Not much more than David Hinds was charging at the time.

Worth paying the small bit extra for the local support IMO since Celestron support is practically non-existant.

Trev

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 6 months ago #33755 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland seem ok on price

Worth paying the small bit extra for the local support IMO since Celestron support is practically non-existant.

Trev

I think that is one thing that is worth noting. If you can buy from a local dealer around the same price as importing a scope then it makes no sense to take the risk of something going wrong and having to export the scope back to the UK or worse the US.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds