K-Tec

cold and unsatisfied

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #44190 by TrevorDurity
Replied by TrevorDurity on topic Re: cold and unsatisfied
Hi Fintan,

Have you tried M81 and M82? They should be far easier to find than the Sombrero and are nicely placed very close to the zenith a the moment (being close to the bowl of the Plough), so they are probably the easiest galaxies to spot from the suburbs. In fact they are visible even in the 66mm scope from Salthill under mag 3.5 skies.

The trick on dimmer galaxies is not to use too low a power eyepiece, as the sky background from light pollution can drown them out.

Don't get discouraged. Galaxies are difficult from the suburbs or towns at the best of times, but once you find them you'll always be able to reach them again.

Trev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #44216 by ChrisMcCauley
Replied by ChrisMcCauley on topic Re: cold and unsatisfied
Just to back up the advice on the Telrad, I have an 8" Dob and a CGE 1100 and the number one most useful add-on for both was the Telrad. If you don't have a permanent mount then the Telrad saves a lot of time finding your way around. I remember being frustrated trying to find faint objects in light-polluted skies with the Dob and it isn't much fun.

I would have some concerns about using a laser in the suburbs. The bullseye Telrad just seems less intrusive.

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #44221 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: cold and unsatisfied
I've never used a Telrad but my preference is for red dot finders over optical finders every time. I find a unit powered finder much easier to use in conjunction with a naked-eye knowledge of the night sky in the vicinity of a target than the narrow field of a 6x or 8x finder.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 2 weeks ago #44375 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: cold and unsatisfied
is there any advantage to using a 50mw lasser pointer over a 5mw? do you need that much more power ( or strength or however you quantify laser strength)

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #44376 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: cold and unsatisfied

is there any advantage to using a 50mw lasser pointer over a 5mw? do you need that much more power ( or strength or however you quantify laser strength)

No benefit, apart from a 10 times more powerful beam! But why the hell would you want to go that strong anyway?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 2 weeks ago #44385 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: cold and unsatisfied
i honestly didnt know!! just want to get the one that suits me best first time around. thanks!

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds