K-Tec

I'm hooked

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #44556 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: I'm hooked
Hi and welcome stephen! I was in the exact situation! I started with the skylux and my first view of saturn was through it! I have to say it has lovely crisp views!

Welcome again!
Matthew

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #44564 by wellbuttie
Replied by wellbuttie on topic Re: I'm hooked
welcome stephen....

I was in the exact same position as you last year... seeing saturn for the first time, it looked like a christmas decoration just hanging in the sky...(but where were the strings holding it up?) certainly a WOW factor... I too dragged herself from the comfortable TV viewing position to view the sight.... and she has been dragged from the TV many times since!!!

however as the rest of the lads have said.... the addiction gets worse...and having invested in newer eyepieces, cameras, filters to name a few... (with lots of head shaking from the wife... and "another package arrived for you today :roll: !!"....) I am in the "aperture fever" phase of this past time.

However to keep SWMBO happy I am planning this years hols (while consulting seeing conditions and light pollution in the locality of some foreign destinations...)..... but in fairness she did buy me "bang" for Xmas and is on for the Solar Eclipse next year !

Seriously though... I have found the gang here on the IFAS boards most helpful, friendly and informative.... I have learned alot from them...you couldn't be in a better place to explore this past time, er, illness?, er addiction??????

Steve Roche
"Technology is a way of organising the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it."
steviestargazer.ivisionireland.com
www.deiseastronomy.com
photo.ivisionireland.com

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #44696 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: I'm hooked
you wont find a more helpful place in ireland over this site. its members have answered countless questions and have never criticised any of my questions and have always been here to help. I also remember my first time seing saturn, through my cousins scope. i had to get one. im now in equiptment gathering mode, with a telrad finder, green laser pointer and wide angle lens and polar allignment scope planned before the year is out. try to enjoy it without too much equiptment. after i get my telrad my goal is many many faint fuzzies before i will allow myself a new present!

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

• smahon
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 2 weeks ago #44699 by smahon
Replied by smahon on topic Re: I'm hooked
There certainly is a lot of good information and friendly banter.

Although I do have one question:
Is there a term for the frustration/anger/disappointment felt when you put on your warm clothes, collect all of your bits (skymap,red light etc.).drag your telescope from the shed, set up your telescope, do a polar alignment etc.etc.etc, only to see everything disappear in the space of 5 minutes with a lovely covering of cloud!!
p.s. I have already shouted at the sky, but it has no effect... :wink:

Or do you learn to be the Rapid Reaction Force of the night (ready to jump at a minutes notice)..

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #44700 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: I'm hooked

Is there a term for the frustration/anger/disappointment felt when you put on your warm clothes, collect all of your bits (skymap,red light etc.).drag your telescope from the shed, set up your telescope, do a polar alignment etc.etc.etc, only to see everything disappear in the space of 5 minutes with a lovely covering of cloud!!

Thats called "effin and bline din"! :D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #44702 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: I'm hooked
Astronomy in this country is an opportunists game, zero notice and always ready to go. You can almost never plan in advance. The way we run observing sessions in the club here is that there is an understanding by all interested members that if they sky is clear either Friday or Saturday night, that we're ready to go.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds