K-Tec

First post

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 9 months ago #49405 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re: First post
Welcome Madhatter!

You're getting god advice so far and I'd concur with the 10x50 advice - I have Minolta 8x40, Meade 10x50 and the Skymaster 15x70s and either of the two smaller ones are easier to use.

Re the observation that the tripod adaptor that come with the 15x70s is a bit flexi - it is, but I think that gets you into a good discipline to not hold onto the gear while looking through the eyepiece, something which is essential when you get your first scope and start looking at things with a lot of magnification.

Being in Tyrone your nearest and best club is the Irish Astronomical Association based in Belfast, but we get out and about a bit in search of dark skies! Come along to any of our meetings and you'll meet like-mined people with a wealth of experience to share.

Good luck!

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #49406 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: First post
hi madhatter, I'd also agree with the 10X50 route.

I have 10X50's 15X70's and 20X80's and I use the 10X50's the most.
If you are set on 15X70's. Get as sturdy a tripod as you can, and get a metal adapter.
Remember you will want to get a tripod that extends fairly tall so you can observe in a comfortable position.

I was shopping around for a tripod last year and wnt with
www.telescope-service.com/tripods/start/...rt.html#FotostativVT
from a company called telescope-service in germany. It is perfect for 15X70's and can handle lightweight 20X80's. It extends up to 1.72m and is still fairly stable at this height.

the specs sheet reckons it can be used with up to 100mm binoculars, but I wouldn't be so sure.

Have a look around that site. They have a range of tripods. Their service is great and very prompt delivery. Why not drop them an email, they are very helpful.

Cheers
Trevor

• madhatter93
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 9 months ago #49407 by madhatter93
Replied by madhatter93 on topic Re: First post
Excellent, thx for all the response's I'll take all your advice and go for the 10X50's - a cheaper option as well.

Thanks guys

More
16 years 9 months ago #49408 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: First post
Hi and welcome,
You're going to have alot less hassle with something like 7x50s, later on when you get experienced and know what you're about, you'll have enough funds to get 90mm binoculars, one thing you'll discover is that aperture is everything.
If you're going to have a tripod, why not get binos that are a good step above hand-held binos.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• madhatter93
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 9 months ago #49411 by madhatter93
Replied by madhatter93 on topic Re: First post
So I have never used binoculars before (to look at the stars anyway) so 10X50's how much more will I be able to se compare to the naked eye ?

Mad Hatter

More
16 years 9 months ago #49415 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: First post
Hi Mad Hatter

A set of 10X50 binoculars will open up another world to you.

From a dark site I would guess that you should be able to see(apart from thousands of stars)

hundreds of open star clusters
lots of double stars
a dozen or two galaxies
similar amount of globular clusters
a few planetary nebulae
lots of reflection / emission nebulae
The moons of jupiter
uranus, neptune (although will just look like coloured stars)
If we are lucky, maybe a few comets every year
Lots of detail on the moon
a few asteroids. (will look just like faint stars, but it is good to spot them)

be warned though, A lot of the stuff (but not all )will appear as faint fuzzy patches, but you will not be short of stuff to look at. open clusters and some of the nebulae are fantastic in binoculars.

I recommend you download the beginners and binocular handbooks from the menu on the right of the home page. This will get you started and keep you busy for ages. Also get your self a planisphere and a set of small sky charts and a red torch that you can take observing with you.
or just get the following small book. it has lots of info to get you started, charts and lists of things to look at. it should be in most book stores

www.amazon.co.uk/Stars-Collins-GEM-Ian-Ridpath/dp/0007178581

hope that helps

Cheers
Trevor

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds