K-Tec

Another newbie...

More
16 years 8 months ago #50136 by Aurora
Another newbie... was created by Aurora
Hello all,

Since I'm new here, I thought I'd say hello and give a quick introduction! I'm Jess, 20, zoology student! I've had a latent interest in astronomy for as long as I can remember, and the recent activity onboard, and visibility of, the International Space Station have reminded me exactly how fascinating it can be just to look up once in a while!

I have also just discovered astrophotography, and being a keen photographer, I am incredible intrigued by the whole thing!

I have a pair of 10x50 binos, stolen from my Dad, and I'm looking forward to the next clear night, so I can get some use out of them! :D Any advice on what to look for would be very much appreciated!

Look forward to chatting to you all,

Jess

"Every so often, I like to stick my head out the window, look up, and smile for a satellite picture."

- Steven Wright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #50137 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Another newbie...
Hi Jess,

Welcome to the boards here! Hope you find it both useful and friendly. If you ever have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. You'll find plenty people here only too willing to help. And remember: no such thing as a stupid question - just a stupid answer.

Clear Skies,

More
16 years 8 months ago #50141 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Another newbie...
Welcome Jess,
Check out www.skymaps.com/downloads.html
There is a page you can print out that gives you a list of
bino targets every month.
It's a good starting place I found.

All you need now is some good weather!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 8 months ago #50143 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Another newbie...
hi Jess

Have a look at the following threads. They have some info you should find useful

www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6902
www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6849

Cheers
Trevor

More
16 years 8 months ago #50148 by artyfarty
Replied by artyfarty on topic Re: Another newbie...

I have a pair of 10x50 binos, stolen from my Dad, and I'm looking forward to the next clear night, so I can get some use out of them! :D Any advice on what to look for would be very much appreciated!

Hi Jess, you might also have a look at this booklet from the site's front page Binocular Challenge

More
16 years 8 months ago #50153 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Another newbie...
Hi Jess!
Welcome along. You could do worse than to download Stellarium - www.stellarium.org - it is another free sky map software package which has proven very useful (once you get the hang of how to use it) on how to recognise the constellations at different times, and even some of the more easily seen binocular objects.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds