K-Tec

First Picture finally!!! Watch this space :-)

• mlkcampion
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 6 months ago #51800 by mlkcampion
Hey
Just said i'd post my first astrophotography picture. I've started with the moon and i hope to progress to every type of object the sky has to offer before next summer. I used a home build 10" f5.8 reflector with a canon350D at prime set to ISO400. The mirrors were poorly aligned as the main mirror was out of the telescope only five minutes before i took the picture (needed to adjust the back focus for the camera), to be honest it was all in all a farily rough setup with my collimator batteries flat, none the less iam quite happy. Already starting to learn and figure out what i can and can't do so should make for an interesting winter.

i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd110/mlkcampion/IMG_0882.jpg

enjoy!!!

Newton 10" f/5.8 AtlasEQ6 Canon550D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #51801 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: First Picture finally!!! Watch this space :-)
Hi,
Its a good start, Tycho and Aristarchus and other craters and seas are clearly visible.
Did you place the camera up to the eyepiece or did you use Prime focus?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 6 months ago #51806 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: First Picture finally!!! Watch this space :-)
Still a very good start all the same mlkcampion. In fact, despite your apparent poor allignment (which offers a very soft, slightly unsharp image), the only other fault I can find is that it is not bright enough. That is where you simply experiment with the different ISO and exposure time settings. Well done!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 6 months ago #51841 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: First Picture finally!!! Watch this space :-)
Thats a grand first effort!
Now you can see the potential of the set up you should be
more driven to get it set up properly to get the best out of it.

Looking forward to seeing more soon!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
16 years 6 months ago #51843 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: First Picture finally!!! Watch this space :-)
Very nice lot's of detail.Looking forward to more of your images well done :wink:

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

• mlkcampion
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 6 months ago #51877 by mlkcampion
Replied by mlkcampion on topic Re: First Picture finally!!! Watch this space :-)
Cheers Lads
I had the eyepiece removed, and had the camera attached using a T-2 Adapter. I will definately do more playing aorund with the ISO and shutter settings next time. I have quite a few things to take care of before i get some good pictures, all i need is a few clear nights!! I hope to try my hand at eyepiece projection soon, i have one question:
What is the typical image size (mm) that you get when doing eyepiece projection with some of the equipment that yee use? I will probably post a few more questions about this later when i begin looking more into it.

thanks again

Newton 10" f/5.8 AtlasEQ6 Canon550D

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds