K-Tec

Aldi Binoculars Offer

More
16 years 6 months ago #53854 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: Aldi Binoculars Offer
I tried 4 pairs in three different outlets on Sunday and Monday and couldn't get any of them to work, so I left well enough alone. Instruments that have the optical elements glued into moulded casings, like these, generally can not be collimated. If you can remove the lenses and prisms without damaging them I suppose you could experiment with building a couple of 60mm scopes (Galilean without prism, spotting scope with).

Points noted -
Couldn't bring any of them to focus within the stores, with or without glasses.
Couldn't achieve a comfortable separation between the eyepieces.
Focus mechanisms did not have the positive 'feel' that indicates that they actually work.
Diopter adjustment was stiff as a rock.

Except for some small roof prism binos and opera glasses the optics that Lidl sells are sourced from Bresser in Germany, which is a subsidiary of Meade and has a better reputation than its parent company for after sales support. The items I've seen Aldi sell are own brand, sourced directly from manufacturers by buyers who (judging by the offerings) have no knowledge of the subject. I would have no confidence in them.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #53931 by Rice
Replied by Rice on topic Re: Aldi Binoculars Offer
John
Thanks for the reply.

Your summary of points noted ids close to mine:
Minimum distance for focus is quite long, at mag 10 mine will focus at a cloest point of abut 30 ft and for the max mag it goes out to about 80ft.

On the comfortable separation issue yes I have the same problem and even when I find a good separation it takes a bit of jiggling about to see through both eyepieces at the same time .

Yes the focus is quite stiff and so is the diopter. I have managed to get both adjusted - with difficulty, particularly when using them totally handheld and as you say there is very little feeling of 'positive' adjustment.

ULT

More
16 years 6 months ago #53936 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Aldi Binoculars Offer
oh boy !!
this things sounds like complete rubbish, if you got a pair and haven't tried them, then do so, so you can return them ASAP if need be !!.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds