K-Tec

Filter Help

More
16 years 6 months ago #53560 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Filter Help
Hmmm. If you are doing eyepiece projection, then the filter screws into the eyepiece/Barlow and the camera images through the eyepiece/Barlow . So that should mean your image is suitably passing though the filter.

If you are attaching the camera directly to the OTA then I'm not sure of the solution. I'm sure there is one - but I don't really know that much about the way (D)SLR's attach to OTA's other than there are lots of options. I'm sure you could lash in a filter somewhere between the camera and OTA provide you have the right threaded bits. It migh mean going for a two inch filter (to avoid vignetting and coverage issues) thus increasing the cost on what is already (probably) quite an expensive item.

I'm sure other here can jump in and offer you more detailed advice or ask you more of the right questions.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• John D
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 6 months ago #53635 by John D
Replied by John D on topic Re: Filter Help
Do you think i will get the same quality when i use the camera as when i look through the eyepiece with the filters.

By the way, whats an OTA.

John

More
16 years 6 months ago #53638 by dmcdona
Hi John - sorry for using the acronym. OTA - optical tube assembly (telescope :D ).

You'll get the same quality of view through both your eye and imager. However, since the imager can integrate photons over a period of time (your eye can't), the longer the exposure, the more data it will collect and you'll get a deeper (better) image than your eyeball.

Hope that makes sense...

Dave

• John D
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 6 months ago #53642 by John D
That makes perfect sense, Thanks. :)

What kind of an astronomer am i not to know what the abbreviation for telescope is. :lol:

Thanks again

John

More
16 years 6 months ago #53654 by dmcdona
no worries John :D

• John D
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 6 months ago #53887 by John D
Hi guys,

Sorry to pester ye with questions but is there such a thing as an all round filter i.e. can make nebula, light pollution and planetery and lunar appear clearer or have better quality.

Probably a stupid quetion to ye guys. :D

John

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds