K-Tec

Starting off.....Question on what I need....

More
16 years 5 months ago #55079 by Perilune
I currently own a 150mm reflector, but Im considering a big step up. I like the idea of a cassagrain schmidt for ease of seup and transport. I also want to buy something with a goto system (which most seem to have now anyways). I would mainly be interested in planetary and lunar stuff but it would be nice to be able to do some deep space viewing too. preference on the lunar stuff though. A Nexstar 8 SE really caught my eye and I could buy a new one for quite cheap in from the US. (great dollar rates now). but Im not sure the nexstar is any good for astro-photography? What kind of telescope and camera setup do I need for excellent lunar pics. preferably in very high detail (200mm aperture on cassagrain minimum). I'd need a barlow x" too maybe for crisp close up stuff? Please if someone would be so kind to cover the basics.

i.e. recommend a good scope (preferably transportable and suitable for lunar viewing and astro photography.
recommend a camera/adapter? is it a webcam that 'stacks frames' I need?
Do I need a motorised stand to do this? Will all goto systems like the nexstar automatically track for web photography? or do I need something else.

I'm open to all your ideas. thanks guys. Ideal budget would be 1500euro. I'm not set on the Nexstar 8 SE, but its what I have been looking at. any suggestions welcome.

cheers all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55155 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Starting off.....Question on what I need....
Welcome to the boards. Where are you based Perilune?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55167 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Starting off.....Question on what I need....
Welcome!
Wow. So many Q's.
This is a good thing! but a little overwhelming.. :)
How a bout we take em one or two at a time?
I think that way you might also get more responses to the posts.

I can only offer my advice on the scopes I use
An ETX-125 and a 12'' Dob.
The ETX is an outstanding scope for lunar and planets.
As for using it for astrophotography, it's not the best.
Fine for webcam stuff but not the best for prime focus.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 5 months ago #55172 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Starting off.....Question on what I need....
Welcome!

An 8" GOTO SCT is a great scope to get. I had an 8" LX90 one for a few years and got tremendous enjoyment from it. It's a great balance between cost, physical size, aperture and GOTO.
I don't have any experience of the Celestron one so can't comment. However, I haven't heard anything bad about it either.
The advantage of getting it from the US is of course the price. However, if you bring it over here, I think the warranty becomes null and void. Something to think about.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55177 by Pioneer
There is a review of the Nexstar 5 SE in the December issue of the Sky at Night magazine. It's basicaly the same as the Nexstar 8 SE, I think, just 2" smaller. It was the best of four scopes reviewed of similer size.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55223 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Starting off.....Question on what I need....
Bringing a scope in from the US also attracts the attention of the taxman, so expect to pay another 25% on top of the price, plus the shipping and insurance.

There's a review of the Celestron 6" SCT on a GoTo mount that gets a favourable review.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds