Ordered My 'First Scope' !!

• Calibos
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 5 months ago #55394 by Calibos
Ordered My 'First Scope' !! was created by Calibos
I hope you people took advantage of the clear skies over the last two nights because its the last you'll see of them for the next few weeks!! :D

Just ordered my Scope.

Orion SkyQuest XT12i Intelliscope (12 inch Dob)

Telescope-Service didn't have it in stock unfortunately and infact neither did most other places. Everyone had the 10in version though. By going through the European Dealers on Orions Website I eventually found a place that had it in stock. Optiek Van Grooten in Belgium.

Im purchasing everything else from Telescope-Service as I recieved great customer service from Patrick at T.S. Answered all my numerous questions and emails promptly and is giving me a great discount.

I ordered the following from Telescope-Service:

Baader Hyperion WF EP- 3.8mm,5mm,8mm,13mm,17mm and 21mm

Great reviews in their price bracket from what I can see and 20mm eye relief will be great for 3 members of the family who wear glasses.
If the coma bothers me with the hyperions on my 'fast' scope then I'll pick up a paracorr after Christmas. I know the 21mm is almost identical to the 17mm bar magnification because of its more limited field of view compared to the rest of the range, but I will be removing the lowerpart of the 21mm and using this EP primarily as a 2" 32mm. I also bought the spacer rings for the hyperions.

I have also ordered an Orion Shorty Plus Barlow, Orion Variable Polorizer Moon Filter. Orion Broadband and Narrowband filters, TeleRad, TS Laser Collimator and a Telegizmo's 24/7 365 Telescope Cover.

I bought the cover as I cannot accomodate a shed in the garden. I know that although the marketing blurb states that this cover is suitable for 365 all weather telescope protection, this does not necessarily mean all of the paper its written on :D I'll be keeping a close eye on things and if I notice any problems with the optics caused by exposure then I'll be finding somewhere to store it inside.

I know there are a few other essentials that I haven't ordered especially a decent pair of 15x70 Binoculars but funds ran out/card maxed out! :D These will have to wait till after Christmas.

Can't wait for all that lot to arrive. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas!! :D

Clear Skies!! :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Calibos
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 5 months ago #55397 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Ordered My 'First Scope' !!
Just Checked my email and my scope shipped already!! I'll probably have it Monday at the latest!! Woohoo!! :D

Something I forgot to mention was that I picked up a nice big Yellow Rok toolbox in Woodies to use as my EP case. A few pieces of MDF, a square or two of foam, a bit of customising and it'll make a great EP case. I was going to purchase a 'made for the purpose' case but apparently the Hyperions are quite big EP's and none of the cases I found on the Telescope sites had enough large eyepiece slots for Big EP's. A little bit of customising and this box should make a great case to accomodate my almost full collection of Hyperion EP's and my other accessories.

Probably mental getting such a big scope as my first scope and spending so much on EP's so soon but what the Hell!!........Me brother is paying for half of it!! :D

Keith D.

Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 5 months ago #55401 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Ordered My 'First Scope' !!
Woo hoo!! Many congrats!
You won't know yourself with the new scope.
Hope you have many years of fun and clear skies!

More
16 years 5 months ago #55403 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Ordered My 'First Scope' !!
Congratulations!!,
I hope you get many clear nights under the stars with it.
I'd bet you wont use the 3.8mm eyepiece as often as you might think, I'd bet you'll be using the 8, 13, 17 and 21 alot.
All the same, welcome to the world of telescopes. :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 5 months ago #55411 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Ordered My 'First Scope' !!

I hope you people took advantage of the clear skies over the last two nights because its the last you'll see of them for the next few weeks!! :D

What planet are you talking about, cuz either I've been missing something about you Calibos, or I just had pissy weather for the last couple of nights! :P

Just ordered my Scope.

....Orion SkyQuest XT12i Intelliscope (12 inch Dob)....

....Baader Hyperion WF EP- 3.8mm,5mm,8mm,13mm,17mm and 21mm

Sweet! Make sure to post a picture of your new set up when you get it all completed, I for one would like to see a newbie's new rig! Um, when will we all get the invite for an observing session at your place then?

:D

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Calibos
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 5 months ago #55420 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Ordered My 'First Scope' !!
Seanie
Tuesday and Wednesday were clear with a few patches of haze over Bray IIRC. Must have been an East Coast Exclusive! :D

Or it could be "Full Moon? Might as well be overcast!" In those terms then you would be correct. "No Clear Skies this week!" :D

Dave
I figured that I'd probably never get to use it or only get to use it once or twice a year when the 'seeing' was exceptional. I figured though it would be better to have it if I needed/could use it rather than not have it and wish I had it for the very rare good seeing night.

Michael
I know that chances are I wont get to use it before Christmas. New Scope Curse and all that, but at least I'll be able to stroke it loveingly everytime I walk past longing for my first chance to use it!! :lol:

Keith D.

Nagler 31mm

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds