• picasso
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 5 months ago #55797 by picasso
Buying New Binoculars was created by picasso
Hi
Am thinking of purchasing 15x70 Binos from Strathspey Binoculars in Scotland. Specs include Bak 4 prism and their level 4 ( top level ) coatings. Cost roughly 105 euro inc postage . Wondering if anyone has any views /experience of their equipment and value for money of these particular binos or has anyone had any dealings with the company.
Here is their link www.strathspey.co.uk/
Thanks
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55800 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Buying New Binoculars
Hi Chris,

I bought the 22x100mm from John in Strathspey about 2 years ago now. They are excellent binoculars and the company offer a very personal and fast service. I know Keith Geary and possibly Trevor in KAS (also on these boards) have also purchased from Strathspey. Packaging was great and no problems.

The 15x70mm are a good choice -- you can just about get away with hand-holding them if seated and keeping your elbows on the arm rest of a deck chair (otherwise, you will need to mount them on a tripod). I have the Celestron version of the same binoculars. These are nice intermediate instruments which will reveal a bit more detail in clusters, etc. than in 10x50mm. For example, the famous Coathanger Cluster (Collinder 399) in Vulpecula fits perfectly in the field-of-view and you will notice different star colours in the group -- something I hadn't spotted before I have to admit. The Winter sky will be a perfect "first light" for your new binos 8-)

Clear skies!

John

More
16 years 5 months ago #55850 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Buying New Binoculars
Chris --

I don't know how flexible you are on price, but I have a pair of barely-used Astro-Physics 15x70's that I keep meaning to put up for sale. (I have very narrow-set eyes and a big nose -- a combination that I've discovered severly limits my binocular options. I had to replace these with the much dearer Nikon 18x70's, which fit my face better.)

The AP 15x70's are documented on the AP website: www.astro-physics.com/ , and sell new for $385. I'd sell mine for about double what the Strathspeys run (say 200 euro). They're virtually brand new -- I used them twice.

I'm in Louth (15min N of Drogheda) if you want to come give them a look.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
16 years 5 months ago #55875 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Hi Chris, I too bought from strathspey, I got the 20x90mm Binos, they are great I love using them. John Burns is the man to deal with, he is quick and very honest. As with John says, I agree - the packaging was great, a good deal to be had there

P.S. IF YOU DON'T WANT JEY JEY'S ONE'S I'LL BUY THEM!!!!!!

Keith..

More
16 years 5 months ago #55889 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Buying New Binoculars
Not having anything fancier than a Bresser pair of 10 X 50's (thanks to Lidl), I have heard the name Strathspey many times, and it would be top of my list (even over Celestron and Bresser/Meade) if finances allow.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• picasso
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 5 months ago #55894 by picasso
Replied by picasso on topic Re: Buying New Binoculars
Thanks for the info and advice guys. I wanted to get something to keep in the kitchen for quick forays into the back garden when I dont feel like lugging my 6in SCT up the garden path. Am new to the game and only got my scope during the summer!
I was only hoping to spend around the hundred mark jey jey so thanks very much for the offer but its just out of bounds at the moment. Maybe Keith will be your man to take them off your hands !!

Cheers

Chris

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds