Need advice on new binos

• picasso
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 4 months ago #56235 by picasso
Need advice on new binos was created by picasso
Got my new 15x70's from Strathspey and tried them out tonight - they are really cool and the views are great - so much different from a scope.
Only problem is I am seeing double! Its like double stars everywhere. I am still seeing both eye views rather than a blend - each image / star is about 1 or 2 mm apart.
I tried folding the binos in and out and also the focussing but its still the same.
Is there something I am not doing or is there a special way of seeing or relaxing the eyes to use binos. ( I am assuming there is nothing wrong with the equipment - they seem in perfect condition )
If anyone has any ideas please let me know

Thanks
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #56237 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Need advice on new binos
Hi Chris

From what you describe it could be that your binoculars are out of alignment, but I could be wrong.

I am sure you know how to focus the binoculars but just in case.
Close your right eye and focus the centre wheel until the stars are pinpricks of light. Then close left eye and adjust the twisty bit on the right eyepiece until the stars are tiny points of light through this.

Open both eyes and look through. try and relax your eyes and if all is well both sides of binoculars should merge without any effort.
If not, try folding them in and out like you said and you should have some luck.

If this still doesn't work, they probably took a knock during transit and may be out of whack. If you know anyone who is familiar with binoculars try and get them to look through. failing this, I am afraid you will have to contact strathspey and arrange for a replacement set.

best of luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Trevor

More
16 years 4 months ago #56238 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Need advice on new binos
Sounds like they might have taken a knock during transit and have misaligned.

I'd contact the guy there (sorry, forget his name) in Strathspey and explain to him what you see. I'm sure he'll help you out. May need to return them, or, you may be able to adjust them yourself. He'll be able to explain it to you if they are adjustable.

More
16 years 4 months ago #56252 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Need advice on new binos
Sounds like they lost their alignment, looks like a trip back to the shop for them.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 4 months ago #56258 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Need advice on new binos
Does sound like allignment, but if Trevor's suggestion doesn't work (just in case), then send them back.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• picasso
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 4 months ago #56358 by picasso
Replied by picasso on topic Re: Need advice on new binos
Got on to the company and the guy John gave me a link to Cloudy Nights re trying out collimation to resolve the prob . Have just tried it on a few stars just now and the view is very close to what it should be - I bought a pair of LIDL Bressers and am using them as a guide as to how things should look .
The problem I find is that while I turn the collimation screws my eyes are sharpening or merging the stars and its making it difficult to get it exactly right . Its close but still not right
Does anyone know a way of getting around this - is there some foolproof way of objectively collimating these binos?
Thanks

Chris

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds