K-Tec

battery probs...

More
16 years 3 months ago #58670 by bertthebudgie
Replied by bertthebudgie on topic Re: battery probs...
Rechargable batteries only 1.2 volts per battery instead of 1.5 volts so will deliver less power but would be more economical.

There is a load of stuff on the weesner site about setting up a power adaptor from etx70 to car lighter or power pack www.weasner.com/etx/techtips.html

Eqipment
Lx90 8' SCT, UHC Narrowband filter
SPC900 Webcam, Atik 16ic
Astrozap Dew Heater
Meade eyepieces & barlows 9,26 and 32mm
Moonfish 32mm 2"

"Always pass to the man in space"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #58677 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: battery probs...

Rechargable batteries only 1.2 volts per battery instead of 1.5 volts so will deliver less power but would be more economical.

There were issues before about using rechargeable batteries in the ETX series of scopes. Primarily, people thought that their hand controllers were malfunctioning. A TAS member (NOT me :)) that had one was convinced he has a problem. We then got him to replace the batteries with standard 1.5 volt ones and the problems ceased.

Also, if you are one of the lucky people who can get their ETX or other astro equipment to run off of rechargable (1.2V) batteries, they will die quicker on very cold nights.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 3 months ago #58680 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: battery probs...

Also wont last nearly as long.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 3 months ago #58745 by rossa
Replied by rossa on topic Re: battery probs...
Cheers folks....I may play it safe or a while maybe on down the road ill bring it to an electrician friend who may help me out.

Meade ETX 70AT....and saving

More
16 years 3 months ago #58825 by Dread
Replied by Dread on topic Re: battery probs...
I can see why the recharegeables might cause a problem especially if the ETX is fussy over voltage. In effect you are dropping 20% of the voltage, more than one of the batteries in series at 1.8V :shock: .

Rossa, I withdraw that solution, go to your sparky friend and get the transformer working.

Btw I have a charger that recharges Alkaline batteries but you cannot allow them to fully discharge. It's a Saitek ECO charger that I purchased many years ago from Farnell ie.farnell.com/jsp/Electrical/Batteries,...duct.jsp?sku=8306044 . It charges zinc chloride, NiCd and NiMh also.

Down with vwls.

Declan
Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50, Bresser Messier R102

More
16 years 3 months ago #58851 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: battery probs...
I used to power the cooler fan on my scope with batteries, it was a 12 volt fan so you'd think that you'd be using 8 batteries where infact I had to use 10 batteries as they were the 1.2 volt rechargeable types.
These days I just run the fan off the same power as the goto system, yipee!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds