Just a heads up for complete newbies

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #59283 by pj30something
Just a heads up for complete newbies was created by pj30something
Dont rush to observe things with the smaller size eyepieces such as 5mm,10mm etc. You will get to see it bigger but it wont look as good as say when you observe with a 20mm,32mm eyepiece.

Orions Nebula for example.......looks a lot better with a 20mm eyepiece then it does with a 10mm eyepiece because you can see empty space around it. It has a more majestic look to it.

So give the higher numbered eyepieces a go first.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #59286 by Jovian79
Replied by Jovian79 on topic Re: Just a heads up for complete newbies
thanks pj30something - something that i read in the manual that came with my scope but good and helpful information nonetheless.

I havent had a chance to see the Orion Nebula yet believe it or not. I was planning to go out later tonight (the telescope is outside as we speak) but it seems to be getting a bit cloudy out there. It was very clear not an hour ago.

Paul

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #59289 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Just a heads up for complete newbies
Perfect observing weather here. Not a single cloud in the sky. I was observing Orion neb earlier and i decided that yes indeed i do prefer it in the 20mm EP rather then the 10mm.

Other may disagree but i just wanted to share it with people.

Paul C

More
16 years 3 months ago #59299 by Euronymous
Replied by Euronymous on topic Re: Just a heads up for complete newbies
Great weather here too, just a rain cloud passing over at the moment so had to come in, but it's probably gone now already.
I've been out with my new eyepieces for the first night, but haven't got to make use of the higher powered ones yet, waiting for Saturn to appear. M42 is indeed best at lower powers as are most deep sky objects, seeing as higher magnification leads to a loss in brightness.

Celestron C8-N (200mm reflector)
Carl Zeiss 10x50's
-Amateur Astronomer, photographer, guitarist, and beer drinker-

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #59301 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Just a heads up for complete newbies
M42 is indeed best at lower powers as are most deep sky objects, seeing as higher magnification leads to a loss in brightness.

I discovered that tonight. It puzzled me why all the lads who do astrophotog choose to use lower magnification for DSO's. But now i know. As well as being brighter i'm guessing it allows them greater zoom with their cams......giving them a bigger brighter sharper image.

Kinda logical when you think about it. It just took me til tonight to come to the conclusion.

Paul C

More
16 years 3 months ago #59351 by Tonybwf
Replied by Tonybwf on topic ......
Well paul,

ye i found that too i was using a 5.7 for everything kinda as i learned this is not the way for best viewing..so we use larger ones like 25,20,17mms for a wider field view....was out myself lastnight with DAS we had our meeting got some good info and viewing

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds