Help

• caseyciaran
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 3 months ago #59974 by caseyciaran
Replied by caseyciaran on topic Re: Help
I went out last night,that big bright orange star thats very high in the sky is mars then.Cool,should I be able to see the canals or what should I be seeing.I have a sky map that is in this months issue of The Sky at Night.What I can see is a arrow made out of stars.

Those three stars in a line and are at a 45 degrees angle are always visible outside my house but I couldn't find them on the sky map so I don't know where I am.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #59977 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Help
You will need quite a large scope to see canals Ciaran! With a 6" reflector, you will see some cloud features, and dark planes. If seeing conditions allow, you should even spot the polar ice cap. All the above depend on the over all seeing conditions. A larger scope will allow for easier spotting of those features. Anything smaller and you will just get a nice bright orange disc.

By the way, what telescope have you got again?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 3 months ago #59981 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Help
Hi Ciaran

You wont see any canals on mars. but depending on your scope as seanie says you should be able to see some surface markings.

Those three stars in a row are in the Constellation Orion and are known as Orions Belt.

Cheers
Trevor

More
16 years 3 months ago #59999 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
And don't forget Saturn, now that it is rising in the east at about 9.30pm and will be at it's best for the next few months

Keith..

More
16 years 3 months ago #60159 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Help
The orange star could also be Aldebran or Betelguese..................but most likely it's good old Mars.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 3 months ago #60213 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Help

The orange star could also be Aldebran or Betelguese..................but most likely it's good old Mars.

Nah, Mars stands out quite a bit ahead of Betelgeuse and Aldebaran!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds