• Homercles
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 3 months ago #59978 by Homercles
Advice for another newbie was created by Homercles
Hi All,

as a newcomer to the field, I've been browsing these pages for a few days, and seeing the wealth of knowledge and experience out there, I'm hoping some of you can set me on the right track!

My other half picked me up a Skywatcher 4 inch Newtonian for Christmas(and scored many,many brownie points in the process), and despite the mostly rubbish weather in the South-East, I've managed a few nights out finding my way around the scope and taking a look at the easier targets. However, I'm heading to visit the in-laws this weekend and I'm hoping to avail of the excellent dark skies around where they live. So, I've downloaded Stellarium, I'll be packing the scope and praying for clear skies, but realistically, what should I be aiming for? Or more to the point, what am I actually going to be able to see with A 4 inch scope?

I've picked up a couple of books to give me some pointers, but they seem to be mostly geared towards 6 & 8 inch scopes.

All and any advice greatly appreciated!
Ta,
Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #59979 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Advice for another newbie
Hi Michael,
welcome to IFAS! For a comparison, as you have been browsing this site already, your 4 inch reflector would be almost on a similar score as the 70mm refractors (Skylux & ETX-70) images you may have seen here (or elsewhere). Now, don't forget, what a photograph shows you is NOT what your eyes will see. But, for reference, it is a start.

So, if you're asking for targets easily within your reach for such a scope, my favourites to add would be M42 (Orion Nebula), The Pleaides (M45), Perseus Double Cluster, The Beehive, Andromeda (M32)... heck, there are so many to list, I guess the best shorthand list to advise you on would be the bulk of the Messier catalogue, which, as you probably have seen, Stellarium has built in.

After that, just point and look, and enjoy the views.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 3 months ago #60178 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Advice for another newbie
Hi Michael and welcome.

I've picked up a couple of books to give me some pointers, but they seem to be mostly geared towards 6 & 8 inch scopes.

The same things can be seen by pretty much any scope............

They are just seen differently.

In astronomy what i have learned is that size matters but it doesn't.

I think everyone is happy with what thay have (and how they see things) until they see the same things through bigger scopes......................then they feel inferior.

I "only" have a Celestron 90EQ scope and i'm blown away by what i see in it.

I am perfectly happy to observe with it for i'm guessing 2-3 yrs. Then when i have gotten used to it and seen as much as i can with it..........i will upgrade.

I have been casually observing (star hopping) the skies for about 25 yrs..............with only a pair of 7X50 binoculars.

And i was more then happy because i learned to read the night sky with them.

Now i have a good base knowledge of the skies to appreciate with my scope.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

• Homercles
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 3 months ago #60189 by Homercles
Replied by Homercles on topic Re: Advice for another newbie
Hi PJ,

yeah, I understand what you're saying. I've always had a fascination with the night sky, and have been heard muttering about getting a telescope at various times for ages. Now that I have one, I want to see EVERYTHING - NOW(call it misguided enthusiasm)!

Having said that, I'm having great fun pottering about and learning the trade which is what its all about I guess. That and forget about telescope envy!

Anyway, looks like my great plans for the weekend could be scuppered by the weather. The forecast is woeful I believe.

I might have to observe the ceiling of the local through an upturned pint glass instead! :P

More
16 years 3 months ago #60222 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Advice for another newbie
I might have to observe the ceiling of the local through an upturned pint glass instead!

Not the worst laid plan in history.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 3 months ago #60307 by cjbigboy
Replied by cjbigboy on topic Re: Advice for another newbie
Hi Michael

Welcome to the board, I'm a newbie myself also with a Skywatcher Newtownian (5.5inch)but size doesnt matter as there will always be someone with bigger and better, and as Paul says you'll be happy with what you have.

Bookwise, "Turn left at Orion" is an absolute must as it is written with small telescopes in mind and gives you a realistic idea of what you can see and how to find things.

As others have said download Stellarium, which is brilliant.

You will be amazed at what you can see, check out Saturn on nights of good seeing :roll: for the wow factor. It'll be tiny but you'll see the rings and maybe a moon or two.

Which model of Skywatcher did u get?

cheers

CJ

Skywatcher Explorer 130pm, 650mm f/5

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds