K-Tec

Want to find "other" times of the ISS

More
16 years 2 months ago #63011 by Calibos
No it was further south Paul. The first one at 6pm was quite high at around 40 degrees IIRC and the second pass at 7.30 was only about 10 degrees IIRC.

Think about it this way. The ISS is orbiting around the earth in the same orbit roughly NW to SE. Its travelling at 17,000 KPH. The earths circumferance is about 24,000 Km so about an hour and a half after the first flyover it has traveled the 24,000 km at 17,000kph around the other side of the earth and gets back to the same point again. But in that hour and a half the earth has rotated eastwards underneath the station. So at 4.30 Ireland was directly under the fightpath of the ISS and the ISS would have been seen directly overhead.....but it is during the daylight so you can't see it. The 6pm flyover was in twilight so you could see it but Ireland has moved east since the 4.30 flyover. Ditto with the 7.30. Its that further south again

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #63012 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Want to find "other" times of the ISS
Thanks for that Calibos. I knew it had to be somewhere.....just wasnt sure where.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 2 months ago #63013 by pj30something
This was my view south tonight. Cant say ive ever noticed the LP as much as i did tonight. It was shocking. The pic was taken at about 8:30pm.

img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn1822bc1.jpg

With the LP and the moon washing everything in the sky (almost) i decided to call it a night about 9:30pm.

Paul C

More
16 years 2 months ago #63020 by Calibos
I think this is what they call transparency. While the seeing the last few nights has been very good ie the moon looking pin sharp rather then like looking at its reflection in a pond...the transparency hasn't been good. ie lots of moisture and mist in the air. So its not so much that the light pollution is better or worse on a given night but that on nights of bad transparency there is a lot more moisture in the air to reflect the light pollution that is always there regardless. The mist glows with the light pollution.

You'll generally find that the seeing is usually very good on misty nights like these though. Great for the moon and the planets but in the case of DSO's you want the opposite. Seeing isn't as important fo DSO's but transparency is. Not much chance of seeing nebula's and galaxies through a mist glowing orange from the street lights! While I did get fabulous views of the moon these past few nights I want to get back to some DSO hunting and it is nights like these that make me pine for the nights I remember in the past were I would look up and the sky was pitch black with only the barest hint of skyglow from dublin. In hindsight I now realise was because the air was a lot dryer. I seem to remember a lot of those type of nights last September and October. Of course I didn't have my scope back then!!

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 2 months ago #63023 by pj30something
Well whatever caused it...it sure was bad.

Paul C

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds