ISS visually in a scope??

• Calibos
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 2 months ago #63070 by Calibos
ISS visually in a scope?? was created by Calibos
I've seen some fantastic frames from avi's taken of the ISS in the last few days both from some of the lads here and over on Cloudy Nights.

On thing I noticed is that a lot of these were manually tracked.

What I am wondering is that with a perfectly aligned telrad is it possible for one person to track the ISS in the telrad and move my 12in Dob by hand from the back of the scope while another person looks through the eyepiece?

Is it possible to even see any detail through the eyepeice assuming you could keep it in the FOV and what magnification should one use.....again assuming its even possible?

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #63367 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: ISS visually in a scope??
I tracked it manually a few days ago for about 4-5 seconds in my little 3.5 inch refractor.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 2 months ago #63375 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: ISS visually in a scope??
You'd better believe it, a few months back Michael tracked the scope for me while I looked through the eyepiece at the ISS and OH GOD, it was difficult but the view was amazing! I returned the favor and guided the scope for him on the second pass that night.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 2 months ago #63394 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: ISS visually in a scope??
Hey Calibos! Sorry totally off topic but every time i see your avatar i cant help but laugh!!!!!! :D :lol: :roll: LOL!

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

• Calibos
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 2 months ago #63399 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: ISS visually in a scope??

Hey Calibos! Sorry totally off topic but every time i see your avatar i cant help but laugh!!!!!! :D :lol: :roll: LOL!

I hope thats because of the expression on my face rather than because of my ugly mug!! :D

The pic was taken the day my scope was delivered back in the beginning of December. I wasn't really shocked when the huge boxes came out of the delivery van because quite often some small stuff comes delivered in suprisingly big boxes. However when I opened the box with the OTA, I was literally taken aback. You can know the dimension of a scope from the specs and you can even measure it out on the floor. Nothing quite prepares you for the size of the thing though when you finally see it in the flesh!! Thats my, "Oh my God, what have I done!" face :D

Like I said in my sig though, I thought I had a big scope until I saw Philip Lardners 20inch Truss Dob setup! :D

The size of the scope has not presented a problem though. Bought a plastic Keter shed to store it setup in the back garden. Bought a collapsable hand trolley to quickly move the fully asembled scope around and unbelievably for last Nights IAS Saturn Public outreach event in Glendalough National park, I was able to fit my scope, its base, my EP/Accessories case, the collapsable hand trolley and my observing chair in the back of my car. You have to know what car I used to be impressed though! :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 2 months ago #63402 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: ISS visually in a scope??
A mini???

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds