K-Tec

What do i need....

More
16 years 2 months ago #64526 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: What do i need....
I'm a farily recent convert to digital SLR photography and I've been dipping my feet into the realms of astrophotography on and off since getting my Nikon D40 last May.

I'd have to agree with Keith's advice, start with wide fields and when you get the hand of that try to get more fancy. For my first astroshots I used nothing but the camera! They were hand-held shots of the planets in twilight. My favourite hand-held shot is this one showing the crescent moon and Venus either side of the spire of the Gunne Chapel on the NUI Maynooth campus:

(see all my shorts from that evening here: www.bartbusschots.ie/gallery/index.php?/category/57 )

From there the next obvious step is to pick up a tripod and some form of remote shutter release (either cable or infrared). Then you can start to go after star fields. This is something I've only started doing recently but I've had a few results I'm fairly happy with such as the shot of Orion below.

(see all the shots from that night here: www.bartbusschots.ie/gallery/index.php?/category/153 )

Ultimately it comes down to trial and error, and there'll be lots of error :) Thankfully with a DSLR it costs you nothing to try. I often go out and shoot 100 shots and only keep 4 or 5. The most important thing it to persevere and to have fun doing it!

Good luck!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #64534 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: What do i need....
Beautiful shot Bart ... many thanks for posting up.

The wide-angle pictures with a dramatic or interesting foreground really enhance the sky images. The shot of Orion and the surrounding star groups really show how dramatic the Winter sky is with so many white-hot O/B type suns dominating the scene. It's a perfect image of what is called Gould's Belt, a "spur" of the Milky Way seeded with young and luminous stars ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gould_Belt ).

All the best,

John

More
16 years 2 months ago #64536 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: What do i need....
I agree. The Orion image is one of the nicest wide angle shots i have ever seen.

I'm always checking out the park down the road from me when orion is in the general area being framed by the big old oak trees.

I'll catch it on cam one of these nights.

"You should talk to Garry Clarke".

Indeed you should. Not meaning to sound horrible or disrespectful to any of the lads who do astrophotog (they all do a fine job) but if i had to pick one who's images stick out in my mind (more frequently) it is Garry Clarke's.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 2 months ago #64575 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: What do i need....
All sound advice.
'think big - start small' is what I'd say.

Do a google search for something like 'basic astrophotography'
or 'beginner astrophotograhy' and you'll fnd a wealth of stuff out there.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 2 months ago #64577 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: What do i need....
'think big - start small' is what I'd say.

Yep. Perfect wide angle shots first then move on.

But do try the moon as a starter.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 2 months ago #64591 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: What do i need....

(see all my shorts from that evening here: www.bartbusschots.ie/gallery/index.php?/category/57 )

Beaut shots there Bart - not sure I want to look at your shorts though :D :D

A 4" refractor and a DSLR is excellent for lunar photography at prime focus, and its a whole lot easier than DS objects. Even on a undriven mount, at 1/125 second exposure you'll get great lunar shots which will give you confidence to progress.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds