K-Tec

trying out a dew sheild

More
15 years 2 months ago #76983 by donalmcnamara
Replied by donalmcnamara on topic Re:trying out a dew sheild
Use camping mat as a dew shield also on my C9.25. It slows dewing up, but eventually had to get a heater system.
Donal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #76987 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:trying out a dew sheild
You're welcome Derek! The foam shields from Celestron et all are pretty much the same as the bedding foam mentioned here already. As you can see, any camping shop will have the sheets for about a tenner. All you need to do then is roll it around your scope tube, taking note of any lips on the face surrounding the end of the cylinder, and tape it with scotch tape or automotive masking tape. Then, Bob's your uncle!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
15 years 2 months ago #76990 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re:trying out a dew sheild
Actually I think on many nights the cardboard / duct tape one will work fine. An insulated camping matt one would likely work better, though.

Remember that dew doesn't fall out of the air. What happens is that all surfaces radiate heat, but those that are exposed to the sky don't get any back. So their temperature falls, and if it gets below the dew point then water will condense out of the air directly on them.

The purpose of a dew shield is to radiate heat back to the corrector. In this sense it works similar to a dew heater by keeping the corrector warmer. The longer the shield the less exposure to the sky and the more exposure to the shield, and therefore the more radiated heat which falls on the corrector.

(Note: you don't get as much dew/frost under a tree not because the dew falls on the tree instead, but because the tree radiates heat back to the grass and warms it above the dew point.)

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

• Derek Davey
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 2 months ago #77013 by Derek Davey
Replied by Derek Davey on topic Re:trying out a dew sheild
Thanks every one,
Very helpfull and greately appreciated :)

Derek.

More
15 years 2 months ago #77014 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:trying out a dew sheild
barr wrote:

Thanks every one,
Very helpfull and greately appreciated :)

Derek.

No problem, you're welcome! :)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Derek Davey
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 1 month ago #77463 by Derek Davey
Replied by Derek Davey on topic Re:trying out a dew sheild
Hi everyone.

just an update on this topic,

after all that i decided to make a new dew sheild this time from the foam padding,

lastnight was the first time I got back out under the stars to try it out,

I was out lastnight with some more people for earth hour and I set up at 8 and didnt call

it a night till nearly 10 and my scope didnt fog up at all, success :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

And this was just as well as lots of people turned out to get a look through our telescopes

so thanks again for all the advice ;)

cheer Derek

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds