K-Tec

Star Atlas?

More
14 years 9 months ago #79151 by mjc
Replied by mjc on topic Re:Star Atlas?
You might need to clarify what you mean by "list of dealers"

Are you asking for list of suppliers of astronomical equipment and the like?

If so there are links circulating on some astronomy clubs in Ireland to some places - but I find Ireland quite restrictive and have sourced my stuff from the UK. Also click on the "links" on the left hand side of this site - there are some references there.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #79155 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Star Atlas?
Hi,
My first atlas was a small atlas called "collins gem guide, the night sky" by Ian Ridpath and Wil Tirion, it fits into a small pocket and is easy to use at the eyepiece, you can hold it with one hand and move/focus the scope with the other. I've written in many fainter objects but still use it to this day.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by dave_lillis.

More
14 years 9 months ago #79157 by efla
Replied by efla on topic Re:Star Atlas?
Thanks for all the replies, i'll have a look about tomorrow :)

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #79160 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re:Star Atlas?
hi efla,

welcome to the boards!

I've some details below of free star atlases that can be downloaded off the internet. The text here is pulled from a mail I sent to SDAs members in May this year.

All the best,

John

- - - - - -

Finding your way around the sky might seem daunting at first but there are many useful star charts on the internet that are created as a labour of love by amateur astronomers worldwide. An excellent resource is www.skymaps.com which has a monthly chart you can download for free. The double-sided A4 sheet also details celestial highlights for the month.

Star atlases extend the possibilities even more and using these in conjunction with your binoculars will reveal many wonders of the sky. Toshimi Taki in Japan has created two free atlases. One goes to magnitude 6.5 (the traditional limit for the faintest star you can see with the unaided eye) while the other is more detailed and shows stars to magnitude 8.5. Each set of charts plot hundreds of deep-sky objects (galaxies, clusters, nebulae, etc.) Go to Toshimi's home page at www.asahi-net.or.jp/~zs3t-tk/ and look for the Astronomy section in the menu on the left-hand side. Under "Tools for Observation" you'll see the link to the magnitude 6.5 atlas (option 2.) and the magnitude 8.5 atlas (option 3.) There is also a double star atlas available for small telescope users. The real usefulness of these atlases is that you can scribble notes on the page in the field and then just print a new copy of the chart for your next observing session.

Another beautiful atlas has been created by a Russian amateur astronomer. This can be downloaded via the following links;

www.eproject.ru/beginners_star_atlas1.pdf (184kb)
www.eproject.ru/beginners_star_atlas2.pdf (184kb)
www.eproject.ru/beginners_star_atlas3.pdf (188kb)
www.eproject.ru/beginners_star_atlas4.pdf (182kb)
www.eproject.ru/beginners_star_atlas5.pdf (173kb)
www.eproject.ru/beginners_star_atlas6.pdf (204kb)
www.eproject.ru/catalog.pdf (65kb)

Going even deeper is a project to create a very detailed set of atlases for telescope users. Details about these are on the pinned thread at the top of the Cloudy Nights forum at www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/books

The above brief examples don't even touch on the many sky guides available such as the articles you can browse from the Cloudy Nights home page at www.cloudynights.com/index.php -- columns like Tom Trusock's "Small Wonders" explore the sky constellation by constellation. Binocular observer and well known author Phil Harrington has also got a monthly column on CN.

Finally, the excellent free software Stellarium at www.stellarium.org is extremely useful and the application at www.star-map.fr/ definitely makes it worth trying to acquire an iPhone at some point :-)
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by johnflannery.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds