K-Tec

Dob vs Refractor

More
14 years 10 months ago #79169 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re:Dob vs Refractor
If you are concentrating only on planetary and lunar observations then the Skymax is an excellent scope. For deep-sky it won't perform so well as the focal length is very long and the field of view very narrow.

I think an 8" dob is the way to go, it's not heavy, can be easily transported, offers great views and the price is very reasonable. For deep-sky you won't go far wrong and for planetary work you can build a mask to reduce the aperture to 4" or so to give better views.

Are you close to any astronomy club? If so go along to a meeting or observing seesion and the people there will be only too glad to help and show you views through their scopes.

Whatever you end up buying the best of luck with it and wait for aperture fever to strike.;)

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #79171 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:Dob vs Refractor
Efla, sound advice there from all, if planets are your thing then the skywatcher is a decent scope. But certainly go for as much aperture as you can afford :)

Keith..

More
14 years 10 months ago #79172 by mjc
Replied by mjc on topic Re:Dob vs Refractor
Why does masking make for better view of planets?
It may do - I don't know to the contrary. My understanding is that if the mask is off-axis one can increase contrast by avoiding interference from the spider viens - but on the flip-side - resolution goes down with decreasing aperture. Benefits outweigh costs?

BTW efla, I went the 8" DOB route - one can remount it later on an Equatorial mount if you wish to do so later on. Good luck.

Mark

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #79174 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Re:Dob vs Refractor
The Nexstar was just the first one that came to mind as an example. The Skymax is a sound scope.
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by stevie.

More
14 years 10 months ago #79177 by efla
Replied by efla on topic Re:Dob vs Refractor
www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_tel...rs/explorer-200p_eq5

I believe I may compromise with an 8" reflector....

I'll certainly keep my options open r.e. all of your suggestions whilst I'm shopping around

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #79182 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Dob vs Refractor
mjc wrote:

Why does masking make for better view of planets?
It may do - I don't know to the contrary. My understanding is that if the mask is off-axis one can increase contrast by avoiding interference from the spider viens - but on the flip-side - resolution goes down with decreasing aperture. Benefits outweigh costs?

Hi Mark,
During the times of particularily bad seeing, a scope with a larger aperture can see through multiply cells of air, these cells have differing temperatures and have different refractive indexes (so I read somewhere), this means you'll end up with an inferior image. A scope with a smaller aperture isnt physically wide enoughn to be seeing through 2 or more cells, so it sees through only one cell and could have a better image, this is why masking down a scope can sometimes work, it captures less bad seeing then a bigger aperture scope,
All the same, I have to say that I've rarely seen this work. The bigger scopes generally show more.
When I got the 20", I fully expected the seeing to dramatically reduce the quality of the planetary views, I expected it to be inferior to the 12", you read so many stories on the web. BUT, I'm not exagerating that the 20" has given me some of thee best planetary views I've ever seen, it absolutely floors the 12" every time.
I read somewhere that some of the faith in stepping down big scopes for planetary views came from experiences with big dobs in the 1980s, scopes that were eventually shown to have bad optics (by modern standards) where stepping them down locked out bad areas on the mirrors.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by dave_lillis.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds