K-Tec

Dob to Mount/GOTO/Track??

• Graham
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
14 years 8 months ago #80161 by Graham
Replied by Graham on topic Re:Dob to Mount/GOTO/Track??
Hi Seanie,

I agree the 10" OTA is definately a keeper!

Am intrigued, how can you make a mount? or do you mean buy and modify a mount?
Or make a seperate Dob mount as opposed to an EQ mount?

Pic of scope below

images.netshops.com/mgen/digimarc.ms?img...E052.jpg&h=368&w=368

The problem I have with the spanner idea, although any and all ideas greatly appreciated!!, is that it works by 'tightening', I think that eventually it would give or pull the nut out which is built-in to the OTA.

but on that idea if there was a way to remove the clutch thingy and replace it with a large cog on the outside and attach a small cog to the stand with a "L" handle with some sort of lock that is on most boat trailer winchs

www.grizzlyjig.com/assets/images/600_lb_trailer_winch1.jpg

Hmm... interesting.. that could solve the up and down

and for the left-right I could attach something like a reversed fan belt on the outside of the circular part of the stand and put a winding handle on the board where the stand is..
then all that would be needed is to motorise it with a little motor....

Getting closer!!! :):)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #80163 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re:Dob to Mount/GOTO/Track??
Graham,
I have the same 10" Celestron Starhopper Dob and have a similar problem...but does not sound as bad as yours. When I first used my scope I found it very difficult to control and eventually realised that I was over - working the tensioning clutch. I found that by only just keeping tension on both bolts that the scope worked better and stayed balanced.

I have however made a small modification to my scope - I have stuck some Velcro onto the OTA close to the mirror cell. I then stuck some velcro to some small metric weights (borrowed from an old Kitchen scales) I use the weights, both on their own and in combination to balance the scope when using heavy eyepieces - this might be part of your problem when using both a 2" ep and barlow in combination

PS I have often brought my telescope out and forgotten to put the bolts in place - and hardly noticed until I put something particularly heavy in the focuser

Declan:)

• Graham
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
14 years 8 months ago #80165 by Graham
Replied by Graham on topic Re:Dob to Mount/GOTO/Track??
over-working the tension clutch....interesting...

I must give that a go..

I have had the scope a while and have only used it so many times so I wouldnt have as much experience.

I will polish the holder and stoppers on the OTA and stand and remove the clutch's, attach the eyepieces and see where the equilibrium takes me!

What do you recommend to clean/lube the bearings on the circle part of the bottom stand? a bit of Pledge? or just a dry polish with a lint free cloth?

More
14 years 8 months ago #80166 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re:Dob to Mount/GOTO/Track??
I would leave the bearing on the rocker box alone ...unless it is really sticky. I suppose if it was a problem I would remove it give it a spray of Light oil (but wipe off any excess in case it ate into the laminate of the base plate)

as for motorizing your Dob....why not

I like my Dob the way it is...Simple like myself:silly:

Declan

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds