K-Tec

Fireball?

More
14 years 7 months ago #80997 by mjc
Replied by mjc on topic Re:Fireball?
I suspect that they're fueled by one of those little candles that sit in a small alluminium cup. Sufficient energy for a light-weight paper structure.

I know nothing more than that (really less than that). I personally would regard them like fireworks in that as an amateur astronomer I'd like as little light polution / distractions as possible and these things would be annoying if they became common place. However, I can understand people using them to mark some special occassion.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #81004 by mjc
Replied by mjc on topic Re:Fireball?
I didn't answer one of your questions - my observation was that they (chinese lanterns) hovered at about their maximum altitude for, in the order of, a couple of minutes - its long enough to go grab a pair of binos and share the experience with someone else. It appears consistent with what you have witnessed with your single sighting.

I have only one sighting but this is my experience.

My money is on a chinese lantern - but you're the guy that witnessed it and you have to sum the evidence as you see it.

Mark

More
14 years 7 months ago #81009 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Fireball?
At least we have ruled out a Fireball Simon! Your description, though detailed, misses the spot unfortunately.

There are some investigation around Cork county apparently for an object believed to have hit ground on September 4th. I can't find anything credible online about it right now...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
14 years 7 months ago #81021 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re:Fireball?
I was out observing on Saturday night and I can confirm that what you saw was indeed a one of those Chinese lantersn, I saw two of them flying close together. They look nice I must admit and they tend not to last too long.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

• Simon Potterton
  • Topic Author
  • Nebula
  • Nebula
More
14 years 7 months ago #81023 by Simon Potterton
Replied by Simon Potterton on topic Re:Fireball?
Chinese Lanterns it is then!

What a pity, I had hoped for something a little more 'meteoric'!

Now, I know just how little I know!

Thank you all for your contributions.

Clear, 'lantern-free' skies.

Simon.

More
14 years 7 months ago #81024 by Graham
Replied by Graham on topic Re:Fireball?
David Moore talking about the meteor hunt in Cork,

Anyone going??

www.astronomy.ie/video/AfternoonShow_090914.php

If there is a few going down to try find it you should get together and form a syndicate with written agreement to split the rewards so many ways, remember if its found on private land it probably is the property of the land owner!!... so be 'careful' where you 'say' you found it!! ;)

Happy Hunting!!

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds