• johnnyivan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 3 months ago #87675 by johnnyivan
So, realistically... was created by johnnyivan
Hi All,

My son and I have a 45x magnification terrestrial refractor telescope - on loan, just to see if he gets into astromomy. He's only 5 and to be honest, when I finally manage to get one of those bright little dots in view he says - and I have to admit I do too - "Yep, it still looks like a dot." Due to my total ignorance, I'm guessing that it's Venus.

I mean no disrespect - I really am clueless about the heavens - but is he seriously going to enjoy viewing anything but the moon from suburban Dublin? - with this scope?

I'm guessing that we need a better scope; a clearer sky; and even then, a certain level of knowledge to appreciate what it is one is actually looking at.

I'm thinking that the latter might even be the most important element right from the start. Especially when beginners are told that they really only need decent binoculars - in fact just their own eyes to get started. It seems that it's the process of learning about what's there, why and how, that's the main thing; rather that enjoying viewing it via the scope and realising that you're actually seeing the rings of Saturn with your own eyes.

Could be that unless he has access to an incredible telescope, a 5 year old mightn't get too interested!

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #87676 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re:So, realistically...
A pair of binos is the best route John, and if the worst comes to the worst, you will still have a pair of binoculars.

You say it's x45, what is the size of the objective, the main lens of the scope? Does it come with different eyepieces? Does it have a name?

Where are you located? There are plenty of clubs around the country and many of them conduct observing nights for the public, I believe that the IAS is having such a night this Thursday, I could be wrong, and they take place at the strand in Sandymount. Bring your son along to one of these, there are plenty of folks who will only be too happy to help and give both of you the opportunity to see through a variety of scopes.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

• johnnyivan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #87677 by johnnyivan
Replied by johnnyivan on topic Re:So, realistically...
Hi Paul,
That sounds interesting alright - it'd be good to go along.

I'll just see if I can measure the lens now. Presumably I can just measure its diameter with a ruler.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by johnnyivan.

• johnnyivan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #87678 by johnnyivan
Replied by johnnyivan on topic Re:So, realistically...
Ok here goes.

Brother-in-Law's Chldhood one on loan (he says it's good) great for the moon:

Make unknown
Refractor
Terrestrial
40mm diameter lens (I reckon)
Mag marked as 15x - 35x (suspect it goes out to 50x)

Childhood One:
Make unknown
Refractor
Terrestrial
40 x 40mm (label)
Appears to be broken - but never very inspirational anyway.

Toy one brought back from sister's house last week!

Edu-Toys :)
35x - 50x
45mm or 50mm Dia lens
No eyepiece!

Oh yes, we're in Monkstown, Dublin so: handy for Sandymount.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by johnnyivan.

More
13 years 3 months ago #87680 by darren
Replied by darren on topic Re:So, realistically...
Having a five year old myself I would recommend not buying binos as they cannot hold them steady unless you buy a tripod,the kids find the telescope aspect exciting so for young kids I would go the scope route,you dont have to spend a fourtune either

regards Darren

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #87681 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re:So, realistically...
Good point Darren, never thought of that. :blush:

The meeting at Sandymount is Friday I believe, not Thursday, check the Irish Astronomical Society website for details.

Your scopes do sound like toy scopes, but Galileo's scope was only 50mm in diameter and look what he did.

There are some very good scopes for beginners such as the Skywatcher Heritage 130 or an 8" dob if you want something a little bigger.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by lunartic_old.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds