K-Tec

So, realistically...

More
13 years 3 months ago #87690 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re:So, realistically...
John - here's an alternative to a telescope/binoculars you might consider for a curious five-year old:

www.celestron.com/c3/category.php?CatID=57

With the multimedia element, it will probably be far more productive and exciting. If there's a birthday coming up...

Mark:
"I'm mindful of the fact that the young of today are going to determine my morphine levels at exit - and I want them to be as well educated as we can achieve!"

One of the best lines I've seen here, ever... And so true!

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #87694 by glenbrook
Replied by glenbrook on topic Re:So, realistically...
The technical term is "averted vision". The eye is more sensitive in black and white, but about 15 degrees off centre from your normal colour vision. It's the only way to see some faint objects.

That star following the moon, sounds like Jupiter. Venus is in the morning at the moment. If you have decent vision, 10x50 binoculars and something to steady them, you may be able to see its moons which appear as tiny dots next to it in a line.
Binos are very hard for kids to use though, because they can't adjust the eyepieces to be close enough for their small heads.
Your 40mm telescope should manage this as well, if you focus it just right.

Instead of star charts, download Stellarium, its a free planetarium that runs on any PC/Mac and it is absolutely brilliant. In fact you can also get apps for an iPhone/Android that do the same thing so you can take it outside with you whenever you need to identify something.

The skyscout has been mentioned, there's one for sale on adverts.ie for €160. I never tried it, but it's supposed to be good.

Sounds like you are well on your way!

Philip

• johnnyivan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 3 months ago #87695 by johnnyivan
Replied by johnnyivan on topic Re:So, realistically...
Hi Philip,
Thanks for that. Nice to know the dot we're squinting at is possibly Jupiter. Now, that is a bit exciting. I'll watch out for Venus in the morning now too.

Downloading Stellarium as I type this. Tell you what else I still need to do is buy Astromomy Ireland's Dec. issue.

€160 is a bit steep just at the moment. We'll see things go first.

More
13 years 3 months ago #87706 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re:So, realistically...
The IAS are meeting at Sandymount from 8.00 on Friday evening, come along for a chat, even if the clouds are total.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
13 years 3 months ago #87709 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Re:So, realistically...
I hope to be there, Paul, with 6.2" refractor, and my new Pentax 10mm eyepiece.But only if the skies are clear.

Yours sincerely, Aubrey.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds