K-Tec

Venus/Mercury conjunction 22nd pm

More
3 years 11 months ago #108929 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Venus/Mercury conjunction 22nd pm
Valerie and I observed Venus and Mercury side by side using my William Optics 70 mm F/6 small apo and the WO 158 mm F/7 large apo.
Through the main scope I observed the less than 5% illuminated crescent Venus at 40X. I did not use higher magnifications this time. Within an instant the 67% illuminated Mercury was visible in the same field of view at that power. The 2 planets were 1.5 degrees apart. We had to turn our heads to look at Venus on the western side and Mercury over on the right hand side. (I have mirror diagonals on both scopes.) At no time could I see Mercury with my own eyes.
Through the small apo at 11X the 2 planets were considerably closer in the 6 degrees field of view. But the overall view was very pleasing.
Venus' magnitude is -4.3. Mercury's is -0.6. The distances were 46,345,000 kms for Venus and 161,000,000 kms from Earth. Therefore Mercury is some 10 million kms beyond the Sun. That puts everything in perspective!

This is the first planetary conjunction I have successfully observed since the one which involved Venus and Neptune when they were 25 arc minutes apart on 12 January 2017.

And I am very pleased with this one as I'm celebrating my 60th birthday next Monday 25th May.

We had a very brief passing rain shower at about 10.15 pm. We were cleanly splitting Izar at 140X at the time.
And before that wondrous Arcturus looked super golden at 11X and 40X.

I decided to call it a night.
If it's clear on Saturday night I do hope to see Venus yet again.

I'm glad some of you here saw this amazing Venus / Mercury conjunction!

Clear skies,

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, lunartic_old, stevie, Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #108933 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Venus/Mercury conjunction 22nd pm
I went over to Cultra in Co.Down, on the southern shore of Belfast Lough and got a nice view in my 10x50 binos. The planets were around 1/3 of the binocular field apart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Paul Evans, flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 11 months ago #108934 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Venus/Mercury conjunction 22nd pm
Hi Aubrey,

Great report on the tonight's conjunction. A nice early birthday present : )

Clear skies,

Darren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
3 years 11 months ago #108935 by donalmcnamara
Replied by donalmcnamara on topic Venus/Mercury conjunction 22nd pm
Managed to get two glimpses over 40 minutes between the clouds with the binoculars. Fairly cold wind in between observations .
Donal
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

More
3 years 11 months ago #108936 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic Venus/Mercury conjunction 22nd pm
Pictured below are the two as seen through the 8-inch Nexstar. Phases are exaggerated somewhat as they were already in the murk at this point. Below that is the best widefield image I got. Managed to grab a fleeting naked eye view of Mercury also.

Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, stevie, Paul Evans, flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #108937 by Paul Evans
Replied by Paul Evans on topic Venus/Mercury conjunction 22nd pm
And including the telescopic views.......

Enjoy!
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Paul Evans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, lunartic_old, stevie, flt158, Fermidox, Until_then-Goodnight!

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds