K-Tec

Comet Pojmanski Animation!

More
18 years 1 month ago #25325 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Comet Pojmanski Animation!

I'd really like to see a few more folks here coming up with some Irish Firsts'

here's hoping the full Messier Marathon in Turkey will be a first! If tonight's penumbral is clouded out then I'm on for an IFAS lunar eclipse expedition next year :D . . . think my last lunar eclipse was 1992. Some of the SDAS people have seen THREE total solar eclipses and never seen a lunar one . . . Irish weather :(

the detection of cyanogen in comet Halley in 1910 caused a bit of a panic when astronomers announced the Earth would actually pass through the tail of the comet that year. Apparently some enterprising punter did a roaring trade in "Comet Pills" that would counter the effect of the poisonous gas. More info on the episode in Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan's book "Comet".

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 1 month ago #25344 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Comet Pojmanski Animation!
Thats a great book John isnt it. I have one of the old versions with all the lovely images included. I heard the updated version does not have these.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds