K-Tec

Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia

More
15 years 9 months ago #71435 by Vagelis Tsamis
Replied by Vagelis Tsamis on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia
Anthony,
Thanx for all this advise!
It seems I will have a lot more homework to do (tracking etc). Practise makes expert :D
As for the corona, my lens is f/2.8 (200mm).
Coupled with the 2X converter, does it turn to f/5.6 (400mm) or what?
If so, Espenak's table www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/image/SE-Exposure1w.GIF suggests 1/2 sec at ISO 100 for catching 4Sr corona. Is it not so?
Any way, what ISO should I use for the Corona and for the Diamond Ring?
Too many questions, eh?

PS
I telephoned Aeroflot and asked about extra luggage. They said that if we are going to stay in Moscow more than 4 hours (which is our case) we should pay 7 euros per kilo for Athens-Moscow leg.
Calculation: plus+ 20 kilos :arrow: minus- 140 euros (that sounded perfectly normal to them).
Then, at Sheremetievo1, we are going to pay again for Moscow-Novosibirsk leg (their words were that since we will be staying more than 4 hrs, we will probably buy something from Moscow!)

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 9 months ago #71437 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia

Anthony,
Thanx for all this advise!
It seems I will have a lot more homework to do (tracking etc). Practise makes expert :D

Unfortunately, preparation is absolutely vital for such events since they are one-time events. There is NO room for error. :cry:

As for the corona, my lens is f/2.8 (200mm). Coupled with the 2X converter, does it turn to f/5.6 (400mm) or what?

That is correct and is similar to my Tak FSQ at f5.

If so, Espenak's table www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/image/SE-Exposure1w.GIF suggests 1/2 sec at ISO 100 for catching 4Sr corona. Is it not so?

This is where I have a problem. You will catch the corona with ANY exposure - even 1/8th sec - but the problem is to catch the complete corona and which extends over one degree past the edge of the sun in either direction. This is where the extended exposures come into play.

Any way, what ISO should I use for the Corona and for the Diamond Ring?

Well, here is my diamond ring from 2006: www.perseus.gr/Astro-Eclipses-2006-03-29b.htm .... ISO 100 and 1/60th sec

For the Corona, I will visit my originals but here are two examples for your analysis and consumption:

(1) www.perseus.gr/Astro-Eclipses-2006-03-29.htm ... ISO 100 and 1/125th sec ... inner corona
(2) www.perseus.gr/Astro-Eclipses-2006-03-29c.htm ... ISO 100 and 1/100th to 1/4 sec ... however, I do not know how extensive it is due to the small field of view for this particular photo

Too many questions, eh?

Never! Better to ask now than later since the latter will be fatal. :cry:

My preference is NOT to deviate from ISO 100 for obvious reasons. The best solution at this point is to take several exposures at ISO 100 and see where trailing first becomes visible. Ditto for ISO 200.

I would be delighted if I can take a simple tripod for my FSQ if trailing is not an issue at any point during totality and the series of exposures. The alternative of increasing ISO to combat this problem is only a limited soilution. The best bet seems renting a mount at Novo but this option has its own risks (as described earlier).

PS
I telephoned Aeroflot and asked about extra luggage. They said that if we are going to stay in Moscow more than 4 hours (which is our case) we should pay 7 euros per kilo for Athens-Moscow leg.
Calculation: plus+ 20 kilos :arrow: minus- 140 euros (that sounded perfectly normal to them).
Then, at Sheremetievo1, we are going to pay again for Moscow-Novosibirsk leg (their words were that since we will be staying more than 4 hrs, we will probably buy something from Moscow!)

This is VERY upsetting!

I also got the following reply directly from Aeroflot:

Dera client!

According to the rules, a passenger can claim uncounted number of bags. TOTAL WEIGHT of all bags in economy class baggage shouldnt preceede 20 kilogrammes, in business class 30 kilogrammes. One piece of carry on baggage allowed, up to 10 kilogrammes.

Each extra kilogramme will be charged as 130 russian roubles.

Kind regards

Aeroflot call-center

+7(495) 223 55 55 daily

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 9 months ago #71441 by ayiomamitis
Vaggeli et al,

I just received the following reply from the Aeroflot office in Athens:

It's cleared free of charge of 20 kg luggage weight. So if your both pieces of baggage less 20 kg you will not pay. More details you can find in our WEB site www.aeroflot.ru/eng . In case of overloading rate is 11 euro per 1 kg

There is no question about the one check-in (max 20 kg) and one carry-on (10 kg). What is of similar interest is the discrepancy for the excess weight - the Russian representative quotes 130 rubles (ie. 4 euro) per kilogram whereas the airline's representative in Athens states 11 euro per kilogram ... and you received a quotation of 7 euro per kilogram. This wide discrepancy is not encouraging at all and are you sure you want to rent a mount in Russia in light of the confusion with the cost for excess weight? :cry:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 9 months ago #71444 by ayiomamitis
Vaggeli et al,

One possible way out of the mess involving tracking and trailing is to use a CCD camera and where the exposures will be a few milli-seconds!

I will prepare the filter for my FSQ this evening and do some testing tomorrow in relation to using a regular digital camera. The following day I will do testing using my SBIG CCD camera.

The use of a CCD camera simplifies matters tremendously and certainly reduces equipment requirements (a simple tripod is more than sufficient). The only restriction is the need for electrical power and which is not a real issue.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
15 years 9 months ago #71445 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia

There is no question about the one check-in (max 20 kg) and one carry-on (10 kg).

That sounds very generous for carry-on. You could carry an ETX-70 laden with accessories for that (which I did to Turkey, in case you're wondering). I don't know how Dave Lillis did it for Turkey, but his set-up must have been close to 30kg!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 9 months ago #71446 by ayiomamitis
Hi Seanie,

I am quite upset at these limitations considering it involves international travel and a few thousand kilometers either way. Why does an American have the luxury of 2 check-ins and 23 kg/piece whereas a European is allowed only 1 check-in and three kg less (ie. 20 kg/piece)?

What is really amusing and of concern is the wide discrepancy for excess weight ... it seems you get a wildly different answer depending on who you ask.

Next time I will be more thorough with available airlines and the restrictions each one has in relation to luggage and weight.

The use of a CCD camera is really appealing and I will examine the possibility very closely!!!!

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds