K-Tec

Occultation’s

More
16 years 11 months ago #45983 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Occultation’s
Mike,

This was the first attempt of recording a possible transit of an extrasolar planet (Gl 581) in Ireland.

I plan to observe and record hopefully other predictions this year.

I don't know of an official organisation in Ireland for receiving occultations.
However, unofficially Apostolous Christou at Armagh Observatory may take your observations. Failing that the BAA would be the next official body.

Eamonn A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mike
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 11 months ago #45984 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic occultation!
Thanks Eamonn

I had the pleasure of meeting Apostolous Christou of the Armagh Observatory on one occasion; he was very helpful indeed and offered me lots of help and advice in setting up a video meteor station.
I guess he would probably be happy to receive any results or knows of people who would. Thanks for the info!
Best of luck on imaging / analyzing any future extrasolar planet transits, a daunting task that takes meticulous planning, setting up and lots of time no doubt.

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
16 years 11 months ago #46155 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Occultation’s
Saw the occultation of Kappa Gemini this evening by the Moon. At that stage the dark side of the Moon wasn't visible in the scope. Winked out just like someone hit a switch! Anyone else see it?

More
16 years 11 months ago #46260 by michaeloconnell
Just took a peak at the Moon. Saturn is quite visible in my 5.5" scope so even if you have a small scope it's worth trying to see Saturn while it's still daytime! The Moon will occult Saturn at almost exactly 8:00pm so that is definetly worth watching!

More
16 years 11 months ago #46261 by michaeloconnell
Unfortunately, at 5 to 8, a cloud rolled across the Moon and Saturn. Will probably be gone in a few minutes - was a few minutes too late though! :evil:

More
16 years 11 months ago #46266 by michaeloconnell
Saw the reappearance. Happened quite quickly! Over in a minute or so. Anyone else see it?

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds