K-Tec

Iridium Flares

More
16 years 2 months ago #63839 by Swanner
Replied by Swanner on topic Re: Iridium Flares
Sound. I'm 3 KM from one tonight. Should be Mag -7. Will try again but the weather doesn't look promising.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #64085 by Swanner
Wey hey :D Managed to catch a really bright one tonight. My first one. It was well cool. Even better was spotting a satellite later with my daughter. She was big time buzzed :D

More
16 years 2 months ago #64087 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Iridium Flares

Wey hey :D Managed to catch a really bright one tonight. My first one. It was well cool. Even better was spotting a satellite later with my daughter. She was big time buzzed :D

Seeing the time you posted this, I think I saw it too (c.8:45pm). I was wondering if it was a Flare or not. From my perspective swanner, it passed to the right of Procyon. Very bright indeed. Heavens Above doesn't have it listed though.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 2 months ago #64112 by Swanner
I'm not sure Seanie. If it was a flare you saw it was a different one. The flare was at about 7:30 heading north south. Only lasted a couple of seconds but was very bright. It was listed on heavens above as mag -8 for our location. The satellite was at about 8:45 heading from SW to NNE at about 70 deg max altitude. This was listed aswell. I think it was a military recon sat. Maybe you've discovered a top secret one :wink:

More
16 years 2 months ago #64114 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Iridium Flares

Maybe you've discovered a top secret one :wink:

Nah, the last time I found a secret one they blew it out of the sky (US193). I don't think they could afford me finding another one. ;)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 2 months ago #64135 by Euronymous
Replied by Euronymous on topic Re: Iridium Flares
Heavens above only really lists the major things anyway. There are hundreds more happening each night. I use Orbitron for tracking over 20,000 satellites and making flair predictions

Celestron C8-N (200mm reflector)
Carl Zeiss 10x50's
-Amateur Astronomer, photographer, guitarist, and beer drinker-

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds