K-Tec

In the Shadow of the Earth - Feb 21st Lunar Eclipse

More
16 years 2 months ago #63818 by iridium.flare
Yep, just there for about 2 minutes. Very hazy and impossible to make out any details, even with the binoculars but still saw at least a little bit of totality. :)

Dwane.

It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #63819 by JohnMurphy
Just had a look with the binos as its still spitting rain here. Its very bright in the Southern limb with a faintly orange glow over the northern section. Saturn and Regulus to the East and West respectively frame it beautifully - now if it wasn't for all the bloody clouds :(

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 2 months ago #63821 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: In the Shadow of the Earth - Feb 21st Lunar Eclipse
I had a quick look at half one and saw the partial. It clouded over so I went off to bed.

I woke up at 3:30 and took a look. Same as John, cloudy and spitting rain but the moon is very bright in the sought, dark at the top and a nice orange in the middle.

I'll stay up until totality is over.

EDIT: Went back out and caught a clear patch at the end of totality. Lovley sight.

Michael.

More
16 years 2 months ago #63822 by JohnMurphy
3:55 and totality is ending with a brightening of the moons western limb. Beautiful orange glow all to the east. Hard to give a Danjon reading because of the cloud cover.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 2 months ago #63825 by ftodonoghue
Caught a good few minutes in Kerry, between the haze. Jumped in the car at 5 to 3am and headed towards tralee where mike scully was having much better luck. Pulled in on the side of a back road at around 3.10 and stayed til about 10 to four.

It was spectacular, THis is the first total lunar eclipse I can remember and It was stunning. It got slightly sureal when I could hear a load of cows going nuts in the distance and then.......Irish Music drifting across the fields....This at 3.40 am. The sight of an orangy moon with stars twinkling nearby is a sight I wont forget.

Cheers
Trevor

More
16 years 2 months ago #63827 by mjs
Well with a bit of driving and a lot of luck coupled with being in the lee of the mountains I got to see quite a bit of the eclipse before the clouds rolled in.

At 1:46 and

At 1:58 and

At 3:39 and then to bed...

A lot of my images were ruined by the wind, but then without the wind I would not have got the clearances..

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds