K-Tec

Well here is a thing.

More
15 years 11 months ago #68523 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Well here is a thing.
PJ - One of the main things to bear in mind here is that if its a type Ia then its due to a white dwarf in a binary system sucking matter from (usually) a red giant. Once the white dwarf reaches the Chandreskhar limit the star will explode (all type 1As explode with the same brightness and are thus used as standard candles to measure distance etc.) All other SN types are due to the core collapse of massive stars.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #68524 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Well here is a thing.

What type of SN was it classified as????

Type Ibc according to the Nature paper.

Ib or Ic ? (not that there's much difference).

I'm trying to work that out. The paper says Ibc, but I hadn't seen that class before. I guess it means it contained a little Helium? :? Either that or they have given up on the distinction between b & c and just call them bc now :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
15 years 11 months ago #68529 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Well here is a thing.
all type 1As explode with the same brightness and are thus used as standard candles to measure distance etc.) All other SN types are due to the core collapse of massive stars.

So there are only 2 types of SN?

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
15 years 11 months ago #68534 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: Well here is a thing.
I'm not that keen on this classification system since it is open to other factors which have not been included. Two white dwarfs can merge and thus exceed the Chandreskhar limit but porduce a much more luminous supernova with the same chemical signature as a white dwarf in orbit around a red giant. This would give a much closer distance int he calculations used for standard candles. Without knowing the nature of the white dwarf orbital partner doubt has to be cast on the usage as a standard candle. At the moment its a good theory but not fact.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
15 years 11 months ago #68537 by JohnMurphy

I'm not that keen on this classification system since it is open to other factors which have not been included. Two white dwarfs can merge and thus exceed the Chandreskhar limit but porduce a much more luminous supernova with the same chemical signature as a white dwarf in orbit around a red giant. This would give a much closer distance int he calculations used for standard candles. Without knowing the nature of the white dwarf orbital partner doubt has to be cast on the usage as a standard candle. At the moment its a good theory but not fact.

I agree. Too much faith has been put in these standard candles and rarely is nature that simple.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out My Photos

More
15 years 11 months ago #68540 by JohnMurphy

all type 1As explode with the same brightness and are thus used as standard candles to measure distance etc.) All other SN types are due to the core collapse of massive stars.

So there are only 2 types of SN?

Basically - Yes - as far as we know. There are of course subdivisions of the types based on brightness etc...
Type II-P - Plateau - brightness remains constant for several months.
Type II-L - Linear - Sharp peak in brightness then rapid fade.
Type II-N - Narrow emission lines.
Type II-b - double peak in brightness

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out My Photos

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds