• Greenflashman
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #73211 by Greenflashman
Solar Eclipse 2008 and Comet! was created by Greenflashman
Hi All,
I would love to know what you all think of the photo linked below.
It looks like it could be a first photo of a Solar Eclipse with a comet in the same frame.

www.zam.fme.vutbr.cz/~druck/Eclipse/Ecl2...8_200_mo1/0-info.htm

Enjoy,
Brian

"There is a theory that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened."
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by Seanie_Morris.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #73212 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re:Solar Eclipse 2008 and Comet!
looks like the server you linked to is down?

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
15 years 7 months ago #73217 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Solar Eclipse 2008 and Comet!
An interesting feat of photography and Photoshop.
However, it doesn't in any way resemble what a solar eclipse actually looks like unfortunately.

• Greenflashman
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
15 years 7 months ago #73218 by Greenflashman
Replied by Greenflashman on topic Re:Solar Eclipse 2008 and Comet!
Copy and paste the whole link (only part of it is active in my post for some reason) into your browser and the page is there.
For those who do not know anything about Dr.Druckmuller here is my opinion on his photos. I have met him and spoke to him about his photos.
It's not meant to represent what the eye sees during totality, I know, I have seen three clear sky totalities. It's showing us what we are missing! Miroslav has never used photoshop for such photos as far as I am aware, maybe in his early processing days perhaps. All his custom software is written by him specifically for solar eclipses and each image takes days to process. He gives an account of the process elsewhere on his web site.
Unfortunately the term "photoshopping" has become a somewhat derogatory term nowadays. It is just another tool in the arsenal when used to enhance digital photos. If it's used to deliberately falsify a photo then that is a different matter.
Personally I have only seen Mercury and Venus with the naked eye during totality and would never expect to see earthshine or sungrazing comets for that matter. Miroslav's photo is a combination of all the photographs both he and a second team took during totality, therefore you are seeing what the cameras captured across the different exposure settings. It was all there, it's just that our inefficient eyes could not see it all at once.
Regards,

Brian

"There is a theory that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened."

More
15 years 7 months ago #73223 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Solar Eclipse 2008 and Comet!
*Fixed the link*

That's a pretty cool eclipse shot. The coronal streamers sure are long!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Greenflashman
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
15 years 7 months ago #73236 by Greenflashman
Replied by Greenflashman on topic Re:Solar Eclipse 2008 and Comet!
Thanks Seanie for fixing the link. I thought it was maybe something to do with the hacking attack on the IFAS site ;) I have just noticed that I am now a senior boarder! The promotion is appreciated in these trying times of non existant summers and recession.

I have two of Dr. Druckmuller's prints framed and hanging on the wall at home here and they always get favourable comments from those who have never seen totality before. So they are useful as a promotional tool also I suppose.
Regards,
Brian

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds