K-Tec

Total Solar Eclipse 09 - Who's going on what trip?

More
14 years 11 months ago #78900 by ayiomamitis
Dan,

Now this is really funny! :laugh: Small world my friend.

Now, if you had such problems with a 400mm lens, you now want to return with a 600mm lens?????

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #78902 by eclipsedan
ayiomamitis wrote:

Dan,

Now this is really funny! :laugh: Small world my friend.

Now, if you had such problems with a 400mm lens, you now want to return with a 600mm lens?????

Anthony.

I'm afraid it was never a 400mm. Last time it was a 600L; this time it's a 600L IS. Thankfully the IS version is actually smaller than the non-IS but I don't think that will cut the mustard with the customs guys and girls :)

I actually have the email address of one of the officers. She told me I could email ahead if I was in the same predicament this year. That could be worth a try if the embassy doesn't come up trumps!

More
14 years 11 months ago #78903 by ayiomamitis
Dan,

Perhaps the horror story I heard, then, did not involve you since I am quite certain the item of interest was a 400mm lens. Unless of course the source of the story confused the fine points (400mm instead of 600mm).

Since there will be a much greater influx of eclipse chasers this year, I would like to think the customs officials will be a little more lenient and reasonable. I do not know of any people involved in the black market import of high-end toys into China. :laugh:

I am hoping my invitation letter helps in this regard since I will have a mini-bazooka with me in the FSQ (plus tripod etc).

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #78941 by ayiomamitis
Dan,

How did things go with you at the Chinese embassy?

I went this morning to forward my documents and I will be getting a CLASS F entry visa (ie. official invitation) next Wednesday when it will be ready for pick-up. In fact, the lady who accepted my documentation smiled and acknowledged (in a nice way) when seeing the invitation from the National Astronomical Observatory of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

I will have at least one extra copy of the invitation letter with me when arriving into Pu Dong Airport so as to flash it at customs officials when they start checking my luggage.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by ayiomamitis.

More
14 years 10 months ago #78942 by eclipsedan
ayiomamitis wrote:

Dan,

How did things go with you at the Chinese embassy?

Hi Anthony,

I submitted all my documents and the visa will be ready for collection next week. I didn't want to complicate matters by mentioning the lens at that point. I thought it was better to get the visa first and then work on the lens. I'm going to call the embassy (I was with the Visa Dept.) tomorrow and talk to them about my situation. Let's see what they say.

Sounds like you're all set to go :) Maybe you can make a photocopy of the invite letter for me... :p

More
14 years 10 months ago #78943 by ayiomamitis
eclipsedan wrote:

Sounds like you're all set to go :) Maybe you can make a photocopy of the invite letter for me... :p

We can time our arrival into Shanghai and I will simply mention your 600mm lens is a finder scope for my FSQ. :woohoo: :laugh:

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds