Jupiter events plentiful this August!

• Euronymous
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #79962 by Euronymous
Jupiter events plentiful this August! was created by Euronymous
I've been following this over the past couple of nights. And tonight is the occultation. From sky &telescope:

By amazing good luck, 45 Cap will be masquerading as a fifth moon during a particularly eventful period for Jupiter's Galilean moons. So weather permitting, every telescope owner on Earth will have a chance to see many fascinating events during the days before and after the occultation.

Aug. 3-4, 22:53 to 4:39 UT, Jupiter rise to 12:39 a.m. EDT: This is the big event. The occultation of 45 Cap is best observed from Europe and Africa, but as you can see in the diagram above, Europa disappears into Jupiter's shadow while the star is hidden, and Io disappears shortly after the star reappears. By 4:39 UT (12:39 a.m. EDT or 9:39 PDT), all three have reappeared from behind Jupiter, but they're still spectacularly close to Jupiter and each other.

Aug. 4, 21:47 to 22:57 UT: In most of Europe and Africa, and much of Asia, Ganymede casts its shadow on Europa, diminishing its light 94%, from 21:47 to 21:59 UT. Then Ganymede clips the edge of Europa from 22:48 to 22:57 UT.

Aug. 4-5, 23:18 to 1:51 UT: In Europe and Africa, a normal transit of Io and its shadow.

Aug. 5, 14:38 to 23:05 UT: A very long sequence of events, best viewed in the Middle East and eastern Africa, but with parts visible across Eurasia and Oceania. A transit of Ganymede and its shadow overlapping a transit of Europa and its shadow, with Io disappearing and reappearing toward the end of the sequence.

Celestron C8-N (200mm reflector)
Carl Zeiss 10x50's
-Amateur Astronomer, photographer, guitarist, and beer drinker-
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Seanie_Morris. Reason: thread title changed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #79971 by Coldfieldboundary
Replied by Coldfieldboundary on topic Re: Jupiter events plentiful this August!
yes, august is full of Jupiter events!

Also on Aug 12 there is a 100% eclipse event between two moons

euronymous, maybe you can change the title of this topic quickly, so we can collect all these coming moon events

yesterday evening around 21h UT I did a glimpse on the low Jupiter, and the bluish star was already seen very close to Jupiter, making an arc with the brighter and more yellowish Io and Europa. I did not wait until the final disappearence.

This evening I hope to be ready for the eclipse of Europa by Ganymede. (also the star still will be between the 4 moons)

go ahead ...
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Seanie_Morris. Reason: thread reply title changed

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #79979 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Jupiter events plentiful this August!
On Thursday night August 6th, the Moon is only about 2.5 degrees (2.5 Moon diameters) away from Jupiter all night, it will be just past Full.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Seanie_Morris.

More
14 years 8 months ago #80011 by Coldfieldboundary
Replied by Coldfieldboundary on topic Re:Jupiter events plentiful this August!
very nice yesterday evening! Europa became ten minutes much fainter, more grey coloured, at maximum almost hard to still see him

More
14 years 8 months ago #80049 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re:Jupiter events plentiful this August!
Some more upcoming events for Irish observers:

(Note: days and dates are for the night in question, even if the time is after midnight. In other words, I've written 2am Wed morning as 2am Tues night. I'm a night-follows-day type of guy, and the next day doesn't start till the sun rises.)

I also didn't write down which moons are involved, but I can look them up again if anyone's interested. The times are the center of the event (as the shadows can be very hard to see at the edges of the planet's disk). If you want to see the whole event you may need to start a bit earlier or stay out a bit later.

Shadow transtis:
Sat Aug 8,1am - 4am
Tues Aug 11, 2:30am - 3:30am
Wed Aug 12, 10:30pm - 11:30pm (double)
Wed Aug 19, midnight - 3am (double)
Thurs Aug 20, 11pm - midnight
Tues Aug 25, 8:30pm - 9:30pm (w/GRS)
Thurs Aug 27, 1am - 2:30am

I've never seen a double, so I'm particularly hoping to catch one of those. I did catch a single with the GRS last month in Colorado, which was spectacular. (And entirely by chance, as well.)

Jupiter is opposite us later in the month, so some of the shadows will be nearly right under the moons themselves. That will probably be really cool for bigger scopes, but my make it more difficult for smaller scopes (if the moon's disk -- which is quite hard to see against the planet's disk -- is obscuring part of the shadow).

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
14 years 8 months ago #80080 by Coldfieldboundary
Replied by Coldfieldboundary on topic Re:Jupiter events plentiful this August!
So the big event of a 100% eclipse of one moon on another, shall be August 12 at 1h46 UT, Ganymede placing Europa in completely dark.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds