K-Tec

Competition ?

More
9 years 3 months ago #102764 by Paul Evans
Replied by Paul Evans on topic Competition ?
I'm happy enough with the format myself, and as a long term supporter of the competition, and a keen photographer, I'm happy to help in any way I can, just ask!

Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinSmith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #102766 by KevinSmith
Replied by KevinSmith on topic Competition ?
I am too happy to help in any way I can but also suggest that a few key improvement areas are looked at this year and run as programmes (each with their own set of project teams/volunteers).

More
9 years 3 months ago #102824 by StephenK
Replied by StephenK on topic Competition ?
Speaking from the side of an astronomer, I also think its fine in its current format, however, I do think images submitted should be current, or at least, not older than 6 months.

I think the idea behind it is to get people out, photographing objects, rather than searching their D drive for a photo from 2009.

I also agree with posters here that it should be weighted, depending on the gear used.

For example, no amount of effort on, say, Rosette Nebula, with a dslr, and an 80ED refractor, is going to beat a ccd shot narrowband image through a 5 grand telescope (in the right hands!).

I think, somehow, this chasm in equipment and experience should be taken into account.

Speaking as a sponsor of the competition, I do have a say in the targets :)
Seanie asks pretty much every time about possible targets/subjects, hence the recent "anything in Orion" subject.
As a sponsor, I also think it should be recent photos.

Clear Skies,

Stephen.

Stephen Kershaw
Ktec Telescopes Ltd
085 - 228 8692
sales@ktectelescopes.ie
www.ktectelescopes.ie
www.facebook.com/ktectelescopes
www.twitter.com/ktectelescopes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris, michael_murphy, Kinch, Tony, Roy Stewart, martinus, manic_dave, yohan

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #102861 by martinus
Replied by martinus on topic Competition ?
I too would like to thank the sponsors for their very generous support.

My 2p:
Personally, I think that trying to account for people's gear when judging the competition could be troublesome. Whilst I can happily say that I've yet to see anyone here be anything other than good humoured, polite and friendly I don't think that one can ask more than for people to post a short list of their gear (as Seanie does) with the photo.

I've seen people get far better results than I've been able to with far more modest gear. :D

(Note: the euro is currently trading at 0.76 GBP, it should not be inferred that my opinion is worth 2.62 cent) ;)
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by martinus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris

More
9 years 3 months ago #102919 by yohan
Replied by yohan on topic Competition ?

StephenK wrote: I do think images submitted should be current, or at least, not older than 6 months.

Definitely agree on the above, I think its a must personally.

More
9 years 1 month ago #103502 by yohan
Replied by yohan on topic Competition ?
Is the voting over on Oct/Nov comp :huh: ?

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds