K-Tec

Our Astrophotography Competition. Monthly means monthly?

More
16 years 8 months ago #49458 by bertthebudgie

As otherwise with the weather we have over here that guy from Greece will be the only entry some months :lol:

Dave,

Can you be bribed? (for a very worthy cause) :lol:

Anthony, you know all attempts at bribery will be treated in strictest confidence :lol:

Eqipment
Lx90 8' SCT, UHC Narrowband filter
SPC900 Webcam, Atik 16ic
Astrozap Dew Heater
Meade eyepieces & barlows 9,26 and 32mm
Moonfish 32mm 2"

"Always pass to the man in space"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #49468 by phoenix
I was just bored and decided to wind up Seanie (my new hobby when clouds are in) but I think if the competition has a time related theme i.e. simmer galaxies then maybe we should restrict images to those taken during that period. Clear skies are never a certainty but some objects are very seasonal and light conditions make them very difficult.

I'd hate to have to pick the topics for the photocomp since all you ever get is slagging from the likes of me and others. Seanie you're doing a great job :D

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 8 months ago #49471 by Seanie_Morris
Thanks Kieran! I know you were winding me up on the earlier thread, but as I said, over the course of the past year, suggestions did come my way about how to make the competition more competing. As an example, if such a competition were in one of the prestigious astronomy magazines (like Réalta for example ;)), I doubt images over a certain age would be accepted. Of course, only if the rules stated otherwise, but do you get my point?

My own opinion is of a laxed time frame like 3 months. Even short-range southern constellations appear for such a short period of time and can allow for imaging something to do with them. That's what this challenge was all about - not just for fun and a prestigious honour of the mention of being a winner, but to show the prowess, ability, and competence of our fellow Irish astrophotographers (on any level) on the world stage. Plus, to see some great pictures!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 8 months ago #49618 by JohnMurphy
I think the current rules are more appropriate, given that:
a) weather in this country is usually "£$% and photography time is restricted.
b) you may have a great photo to match the theme but because of the above it was taken a year ago.
c) we shouldn't restrict the best possible photos just because they are past efforts.

If any rule needs to be introduced it might be that the photo should not have been used in any previous competitions IFAS or other.

just my 2c.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds