K-Tec

October Theme - Galaxies (Andromeda-Ursa Major-Draco) (2007)

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 6 months ago - 15 years 1 week ago #51873 by Seanie_Morris
Your target for entry into October's competition will be on Galaxies in Andromeda, Ursa Major, and Draco. As an experiment, entries must be taken during October 2007. There is plenty of choice among the 3 stated constellations.

Closing Date: Wednesday October 31st.

Entries are to be sent to photo_competition@irishastronomy.org and should be hosted off-site, and linked to that provider. If in doubt regarding what to do, please read the Rules & Guidelines .

PLEASE make all images no larger than 800 X 800 pixels in size. Those that are larger will be requested to be made smaller, or failure to reply will result in omission from the competition.

Clear Skies & Good Luck!

Seanie Morris.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 15 years 1 week ago by Seanie_Morris.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 6 months ago #51899 by DaveGrennan
Seanie!

You gotta be kidding mate. Have you looked at the position of Ursa Major and Canes Venatici during October? October is possibly the worst possible month of the year for these constellations with both being at lower culmination. So this limits things to, well Andromeda. Apart from the obvious M31 group and NGC891 there's really not much else.

Sorry to be putting a downer on things but really this is an impossible task :(

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 6 months ago #51901 by Seanie_Morris
Dave,
you're right re: their positions. Thanks for the heads up! I think maybe the software I was looking at to verfy their positions today was during some time in daylight! Ursa Major itself is still relatively high (as an appreciable target) up till midnight. Canes Venatici will be removed. The third constellation I am then adding is Draco (covers long length of sky). Thread title ammended. Hope this is ok!

Seanie.

:oops:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 5 months ago #53503 by dmcdona

really this is an impossible task :(

Wuss. That's the whole idea of a challenge... :wink:

More
16 years 5 months ago #53505 by michaeloconnell
I hear next month's challenge is to image type Ic supernovae in the constellations Apus, Octans and Chamaeleon. ;)

More
16 years 5 months ago #53511 by dmcdona

I hear next month's challenge is to image type Ic supernovae in the constellations Apus, Octans and Chamaeleon. ;)

Now that's a little more than a walk in the park. But not much more...

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds