K-Tec

Double Star Observers of the world unite!

More
20 years 5 months ago #1163 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Double Star Observers of the world unite!

Oh, and one other thing: if, like Shane and I, you also get a real buzz out of observing binaries and multiples, then please post to this topic, so that we get our forum! If you haven't, then go and check out Albireo (the "head" star of Cygnus, beautiful, easy-to-resolve red/blue pair) the next night you're out, and then post your impressions to this topic! :)

I really am not a double star person but there are a few double stars that I really love. Alberio being the best by far. I am quite colour blind so all but th most coloured stars look simply white to me. Infact I used to thinkthat I could not tell the colours of any stars untill I saw Alberio and realised that I am not quite as colour blind as I feared. I also love the trapesium because of where it is and I like the big one in Lyra because I can separate it with the unaided eye!

As for the Forum, I am 99% sure that it is a good idea. Shane also has a point that we have FAR too many boards that are not getting used. I will consolodate these over the next few days and try to re-organise things a bit mroe sensibly.

Bart B.,
IFAS Webmaster.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1166 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Double Star Observers of the world unite!
I think Double stars would just come under the hardly used deep-sky fourm. Cant really see this sustaining itself for long as a fourm alone though the deep-sky fourm could cater for this and variable stars say also and then f there was interest fork off to another group for the various objects. This would be better than creating yet more groups initially I think c.f. the spaceflight section, despite cassini, the chinese into space etc since the board started there has been little activity there, and it can all be merged to one IMHO.

Double stars, while nice to look at dont generate news or warrant that much discussion, variable stars on the other hand could have more traffic, but still I dont think they would warrant a new topic yet. (apologies to the IAS Variable Stars Observers group!)

Perhaps the deep-sky title should be changed, to me that seems to just refer to far away galaxies, can't think of a better title mind you. If you do use that fourm, then Shane can moderate it if he wants.

Havent looked at the astroleague site in detail yet, but it would definatly be a good idea to put together a double star marathon and observing guide or something, possibly similar for variables, and other aspects of astronomy (even basic constellation guides would be worthwhile).

Anyway, yep I support the idea of a group, I just think it should start off in the deep-sky (or whatever you want to call it) fourm first.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds