K-Tec

Input requested on design and layout of V3.0 of this site

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 5 months ago #18639 by voyager
OK, we seem to be getting lost in a clutter of calendar here. This is a good thing but I'm going to split the calendar discussion to a new thread.

I'm going to split off posts from here to start the thread, as soon as that is done I'll pos back here with a link

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 5 months ago #18645 by voyager
OK, new thread for the calendar discussion started here: www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2905

Please make all furhter comments with regard to the calendar on that thread.

Cheers,

Bart.

More
18 years 5 months ago #18962 by michaeloconnell
In terms of uploading images, the current system as I understand it is as follows:
1 Go into files section
2 Browse to correct folder
3 Upload image
4 Open image or right-click on link so as to get it's full url
5 Copy the url
6 Return to forum
7 Go to relevant topic
8 Paste in url
9 Highlight url and click the "Img" button

Is there any chance we could try to short-circuit this process? Some boards have the option of inserting an image directly into the post (cloudynights.com for example).

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 5 months ago #18963 by voyager

In terms of uploading images, the current system as I understand it is as follows:
1 Go into files section
2 Browse to correct folder
3 Upload image
4 Open image or right-click on link so as to get it's full url
5 Copy the url
6 Return to forum
7 Go to relevant topic
8 Paste in url
9 Highlight url and click the "Img" button

Is there any chance we could try to short-circuit this process? Some boards have the option of inserting an image directly into the post (cloudynights.com for example).

I see what you mean but I don't think this should be done with the current boards becaues they are running to the end of their support cycle. We now use phpBB2.0.18. The 2.0.X branch of phpBB will be replaced by the 3.0X branch soon and the code base for that new branch is massively different. Once we switch to 3.0 then it will be worth our while modifying that code, untill then there's not much point in wasting time on messing with the 2.0 branch because it will all be for nothing soon!

More
18 years 5 months ago #18964 by michaeloconnell

I see what you mean but I don't think this should be done with the current boards becaues they are running to the end of their support cycle. We now use phpBB2.0.18. The 2.0.X branch of phpBB will be replaced by the 3.0X branch soon and the code base for that new branch is massively different. Once we switch to 3.0 then it will be worth our while modifying that code, untill then there's not much point in wasting time on messing with the 2.0 branch because it will all be for nothing soon!

Oh of course...hence the title of the thread... :)

More
18 years 5 months ago #18971 by Seanie_Morris
To add to Barts response Michael, from my point of view, if it was that easy to insert an image into a post, then the bandwidth would be eaten up in weekswith everyone inserting images at will! While it doesn't sound fair to those who don't know how, keeping the current means of inserting an image into a post left to those who know how to do it the long way is probably best at the moment - until we rectify the bandwidth issue.

Of course, serious posters who know not how to do this need only ask the rest of us, as has been done in the past!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds