K-Tec

[OT] Converting VOB to something useful :-)

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26587 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: [OT] Converting VOB to something useful :-)
Sounds like that'll be version 2, ready for the whirlpool in october. :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26588 by Eirikg

windows media video! wmv

Thats a format most can play without any downloading of codecs (windows os)

Anything but wmv! For starters you do need a codec. Secondly it's Windoze only. And thirdly it's crap.

TMPG will encode VOB to MPG as far as I know - no codec required. Not free though - the freeware version only does MPEG1 (VCD).

Personally my favourite is Divx (avi). Gordian Knot will do this for you. It's a bit complicated to set up but you only need to do it once. Very worthwhile and extremely useful for backing up your own DVDs - if you have kids you'll know why :D

You will need to include a codec for this - but that's free from www.divxmovies.com/codec/ - you can include it on the disk to save people downloading it.

Instructions for GKnot are at this site

Mpeg you need codec for, and its not free. You can find codec packs, but they contain mpeg decoders that realy isnt free. Mpeg 1/2 is an old codec with poor compression compared to newer mpeg4.

Most ppl got windows and most ppl got windows xp were wmv codec 9 is included. Linux users can also play wmv with videolan player i think.

I understood it first as he wanted to distrubute it over net. Then i still stick with windows media :P divx is great (better) to, but that needs codec.

But albert sound like you want it distubuted in dvd? If you got a dvd burner why not make a 1:1 copy of the original?

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26594 by albertw

But albert sound like you want it distubuted in dvd? If you got a dvd burner why not make a 1:1 copy of the original?

I need to distribure other stuff as well.

Looks like Xvid with AutoGK is the best compromise, people gave me other video thats Xvid for the DVD too. The audio on Paul's files has a slight echo on some players which I cant manage to filter out.

It will do for what we need this time. Perhaps someone who is more competent with this video lark can get the original DVD from Paul and do a better job next time.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 1 week ago #26606 by voyager

windows media video! wmv

Thats a format most can play without any downloading of codecs (windows os)

WMV is an insane choice for a CD you want everyone to play!

It is a closed format and not reliably playable on anything but new versions of Windows (Win2K cannot use MediaPlayer10 so you can't view new vids, MS Media Player of OS X SUCKS and is buggy as hell and is being diss-continued and only Linux distros on X86 can view WMV via MPlayer).

There are bucketloads of open ofrmats out there for video that anyone on any OS using any media player can play (MPEG being the best example) that is would be insulting ot use WMV. If you do insist on going proprietary then at least use Real Media formats since Real Player works on Windows, Mac AND Linux.

I get really annpyed when people start saying you should PUBLISH in formats that are not free noe open. Those of us who don't want to give Bill Gates money for his crap software should not be treated as second class citizens!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 1 week ago #26607 by Eirikg
Most ppl got windows os, and u dont need mediaplayer 10, it downloads the codec even in media player 7. My first assumtion was that it was going to be published on net. And i still stick with wmv if that was the case.

About MAC, i dunno, but on linux u should be able to play it and if u already got linux u already know how. Who runs linux on anything else than x86?? Thats not many ppl.

I also said wmv because its damn easy to convert if u got windows xp, just put it in windows movie maker and your done.

Im sorry about m$ and its monopoly,but thats how it is. I suggested wmv because its 1. easy 2. compresses it down to good internett sharing size 3. most ppl got windows. The good alternative is divx, but 1. you need software to encode it 2. the user must download codec. More work for both user and "ripper".

1. wmv - fast, u get 99% of the ppl even voyager on linux ;)
2. divx - more work - all can play IF they are bothering with downloading codec on windows platform.

3. mpeg - biiiig file - tradeof with quality - all can play

On CD its a hole nother deal.. vob files contains mpeg stream btw.. Maybe use divx as some pointed out and maybe even include ffshow or vlc on the CD?

More
18 years 1 week ago #26620 by voyager

Most ppl got windows os, and u dont need mediaplayer 10, it downloads the codec even in media player 7. My first assumtion was that it was going to be published on net. And i still stick with wmv if that was the case.

The net is an open place that ALL people use, the net has no opperating system and hence, anything you publish on the net should be published in an open format. That's the whole point of the internet! It's about making your dta available to all regardless of HOW they access the net.

About MAC, i dunno, but on linux u should be able to play it and if u already got linux u already know how. Who runs linux on anything else than x86?? Thats not many ppl.

I use a Mac and it is not X86 and playing WMVs is a right royal PITA because the version of Media Player than Microsoft release for Mac sucks and now no longer even supported by MS.

Im sorry about m$ and its monopoly,but thats how it is.

It bloody well is not! MS do not have a monopoly. FAR form it. They like to push numbers like 90% and so forth as if 90% is 100% and that is just not on. That's 1 in 10 that you are prepared to just write off as not worthy of using this site! Also, have a wander round an average server room, no monopolies in there I can tell you! In our server room at work Linux have at least 70% of the market with Unix taking about 15% and MS the last 15%.

Don't be fooled by the MS marketing hype, they have no monopoly and it is not acceptable on a public site where we are providing a service to everyone to pretend that we do.

I suggested wmv because its 1. easy 2. compresses it down to good internett sharing size 3. most ppl got windows. The good alternative is divx, but 1. you need software to encode it 2. the user must download codec. More work for both user and "ripper".

1. wmv - fast, u get 99% of the ppl even voyager on linux ;)
2. divx - more work - all can play IF they are bothering with downloading codec on windows platform.

3. mpeg - biiiig file - tradeof with quality - all can play

On CD its a hole nother deal.. vob files contains mpeg stream btw.. Maybe use divx as some pointed out and maybe even include ffshow or vlc on the CD?

My experience of WMV is NOT that 99% of people can play them. There are much more than 1% of the users out there using Macs and I have yet to be able to play WMV reliably on a Mac.

As I see it WMV would ONLY be a reasonable choice if there were no other choices. But there are, many others.

DivX is a much better format both from a technical point of view and from a users point of view as it alienates no one. I have yet to have problems with DivX on Windows, Mac or Linux, which, as I said before, I can't say that about WMV. As I said in my first post, even Real Media is a better option than WMV because they provide working players for Windows, Mac & Linux.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds