K-Tec

Politics

More
19 years 4 months ago #6896 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Politics

I would also like to see rule passed to ensure members sign their name if not already clear from their user names. I'm rather disturbed by some people posting nasty comments while hiding behind pseudonyms.

Good point. Though not even for the aspect of 'hiding' behind an alias while one shouts libellous rants. This is a community, not a professional one, but one that was created to be of help and subserviance to others in the hobby that is Astronomy.

I am also of the opinion that a good bitching session never does any harm. The only problem on a boards forum like these is that its down in writing, and therefore is proof it existed, and if someone takes offence, they have the proof if they wanted to take action.

I myself love to rant and bitch with fellow ranters and bitches, no matter what its about. Its the fact that if I really disagree or hate someone/something/ some practice, then I can get it off my chest. Yes, there are somethings I really don't like about A&S, and only a few things I like/approve of... at least I have the right to say what I feel - hence the point of democracy! But, I might make enemies of people who both know, and don't know me. Still, I would like to see an off-topic/astropolitics forum for people like me (seems to be about 10 at least here)...

...and in defence of Mr. Moore and those who (well, I can only say) side with him, let him come here to 'talk' to us in person. As far as I have seen, he is the one hiding behind other (present and former) AI/A&S members on these boards, yet always makes reference to these boards as being biased against him in other mediums elsewhere. He has the rights, as we do, to come here and say what he wants as long as grotesque and obscene, and potentially libellous words are not used.

After saying that, I apologise for the use I made of the word bitch in this post!

Clear Skies, rant more or less over,

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #6897 by Perseus
Replied by Perseus on topic Re: Politics
I wonder if we divided the total number of words written about astronomy on this website by the total number of words complaining about David Moore - what the percentage breakdown would be.

If we spend say 30% of the time talking about DM, maby it's us who has the problem.

I wonder what percentage of DM's time is spent talking about us ?

Damon

• Wallymee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago #6898 by Wallymee
Replied by Wallymee on topic Re: Politics

I wonder what percentage of DM's time is spent talking about us ?

Damon

I would say very little.

More
19 years 4 months ago #6900 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Politics

If we spend say 30% of the time talking about DM, maby it's us who has the problem.

Last time I counted the posts (over 6 months ago IIRC) < 1% of posts mentioned AI/A&S. The percentage "talking about DM" or discussing the operations of A&S/AI is less again. Over the past month the figure may be higher, but that was localised to very few threads.

What we have is a signal to noise problem. The quality of the signal here, the proper astronomy, is very high, the noise, the "talking about DM" bit is very small. But a little noise on a good signal is very noticable :-)

Also, a couple of the threads relating to AI/A&S have actually helped. The "phone spam" responses here regarding an email recently, stopped me sending a letter to the Data Protection Commissioner. The Dunsink closure thread, regarding the astronomy.ie mailing alias was clarified thanks to Dave Grennan.

So long as this board is for Irish Astronomy, the topic of A&S/AI will come up, as it should, for example if someone posted here asking about a buying a telescope from A&S, should we stay silent about telling them that A&S are expenive and they should shop around? Would this go directly to a politics forum? (Yes I know they have a sale on than brings the prices down the the RRP, its an example!). Sometimes A&S/AI do or say things (or dont do or say things!) that really pisses people off, and is not helpful to encouraging the growth of the hobby. I've no problem with that being brought up here.

I'll agree somewhat with Gordon that moderators could bring such threads to an end more quickly when they cease being constructive. Also moderators are also member of the board who may have opinions on matters, of course they will contribute to and sometimes initiate threads.

Finally this is a public forum, and A&S/AI are welcome to post their side of the story here.

Cheers,
~Al (now convinced that a separate forum is a bad idea)

p.s If you would like to have a rational discussion about A&S/AI I created Club Matters -> Therapy? The intention was to give people a place to gripe about A&S it doesnt seem to have helped. But if you would like to think and pen your rationally thought out issues with AI there feel free, it may even be theraputic!

p.p.s I think the issue will ultimately be solved by boredom. Even I'm getting fed up writing about A&S!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 4 months ago #6903 by Perseus
Replied by Perseus on topic Re: Politics
Less than 1% of time spent talking about DM ?........ I'm Amazed :o

I appreciate few subject headings mention AI/A&S/DM however I am genually supprised that the actual talking time is less than 1%. sometimes I feel its all we talk about. All you have to do is mention his name and the forum starts smoking. This thread was started 8pm last night and already there is over sixteen posts (considering most people were in bed for 8 hours of that) and the replies are not short, people ramble on for pages.

Some of the posts on DM are necessary eg. its great to highlight Rip Off prices for Equipment and yes it can be fun to bitch about the man everybody loves to hate. But some times it feels like the whining never stops.

PS are you sure about that 1% ?

More
19 years 4 months ago #6905 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Politics

PS are you sure about that 1% ?

I was when I actually checked way back when! I'm not planning to go through 6000+ posts to check now though :-)

_IF_ you were to _guess_ that there were 300 bitching about A&S (which IMHO is an overestimate) that would put the figure at 5% of posts. The figure, given a few explosive threads in recent months, is probably 2-3% now at a guess. If you were to factor out the recent upsurge in ranting ("That thread" at 27 + deleted posts, most of the phone spam thread. Just under 1% of total posts themselves) then I'd say the stable background "rant at A&S" level is still probably around 1%.

sometimes I feel its all we talk about.

Yep, but I think it just _feels_ that way. On the highly flamable General forum, there are 490 posts (ish) on the fisrt page of topics. There are around 50 relating to A&S (give or take, some are very legitimate, some dont mention them etc. etc. but for arguments sake lets say 50). That means around 10% of the Gereral Posts recently are ranting about A&S, factor in the fact that most other forums dont mention them and you are back down into low single digit percentages overall for threads on the first page of the forum lists.

I agree 100% though that it feels like there is a lot more! Noise does that to a signal...

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds