K-Tec

A question for opinionated people...

More
9 years 7 months ago #101703 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic A question for opinionated people...
Great discussion!

I started with a small APO, but quickly decided that wide field astrophotography did not suit my need for instant gratification. I then had a happy year or so with a 200mm Newt and the extra aperture was much more satisfying for visual observing. Newts give great bang for your buck, but I did get a bit frustrated with the uncomfortable viewing positions. Maybe I'm just plain lazy, but it can be difficult to make good observations, e.g. of challenging double stars, when you are craning your neck to reach the eyepiece. I picked up a second-hand 280mm SCT for a reasonable price and am delighted with it. The greater cost (about a factor of two for a pre-loved SCT) is offset by the fact that it is relatively easy to transport and handle (despite the large aperture), and by the comfortable viewing position. I can sit in comfort and take my time over observations and that means that I enjoy observing sessions more, and set it up more often than I otherwise would.

So, the ideal scope for lazy, middle-aged, visual observers, with weak backs, small cars and ADHD, is definitely a >250mm SCT.

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, RandomPillars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandomPillars
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
9 years 7 months ago #101705 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic A question for opinionated people...
Point really well made Mike. You make it so well, I'm finding it hard to disagree :-)

Sean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds