K-Tec

Public relations, the Media and astronomy in Ireland

More
20 years 5 months ago #1052 by Seanie_Morris

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, raising your search engine ratings might be as beneficial as getting radio time.

Good point... Maybe its time IFAS spent the few tens of €€€€'s to submitt to the larger search engines, like probably AI has done?? We're the non-profit making, fun-loving, admirable, down-with-Joe-Soap, legitimate source of Astronomy in Ireland, and the backbone of IFAS is way older than AI (e.g. IAS, IAA, TAS, etc etc)...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1055 by Janet
Well I was just trying to make you aware of one woman's experience of trying to find a "non-profit making, fun-loving, admirable, down-with-Joe-Soap, legitimate source of Astronomy in Ireland".

I couldn't. simple as that. I'm sure there are plenty of others like me

I wasn't suggesting you spend money promoting the website online. I'm sure there are free ways to do it. I've come across loads of tiny shoe-string budget websites through Google. These people clearly spent no money on their websites, but I still found them.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1056 by albertw

Well I was just trying to make you aware of one woman's experience of trying to find a "non-profit making, fun-loving, admirable, down-with-Joe-Soap, legitimate source of Astronomy in Ireland".

I couldn't. simple as that. I'm sure there are plenty of others like me

I wasn't suggesting you spend money promoting the website online. I'm sure there are free ways to do it. I've come across loads of tiny shoe-string budget websites through Google. These people clearly spent no money on their websites, but I still found them.

There are plenty like you, its only in the last year or so that I found out abouther clubs in Ireland too.

I dont think money will be spent promoting the website, theres better things to do with money! Hopefully the word will spread and the site will get popular. Its certainly more accessable than the old yahoo group and much easier to find in google.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
20 years 5 months ago #1069 by sdbell
AL White wrote...

"Good point... Maybe its time IFAS spent the few tens of €€€€'s to submitt to the larger search engines, like probably AI has done?? We're the non-profit making, fun-loving, admirable, down-with-Joe-Soap, legitimate source of Astronomy in Ireland, and the backbone of IFAS is way older than AI (e.g. IAS, IAA, TAS, etc etc)... "

Good idea Al. I think that might be reasonably effective...

Bart, what woudld it cost?

D

More
20 years 5 months ago #1073 by finnjim2001

Good point... Maybe its time IFAS spent the few tens of €€€€'s to submitt to the larger search engines, like probably AI has done?? We're the non-profit making, fun-loving, admirable, down-with-Joe-Soap, legitimate source of Astronomy in Ireland, and the backbone of IFAS is way older than AI (e.g. IAS, IAA, TAS, etc etc)...

Seanie.

Just did a quick google and found www.addme.com
This is what it had to say
"Website Search Engine Submission since 1996

Welcome to Add Me.com, a leading resource for webmasters and small business owners specialized in website submission and promotion on the Internet since 1996. Add Me has currently over 800,000 members and is the most popular web site in Yahoo's Internet Promotion category. To bookmark this website, press the keys Ctrl+D.

Free Search Engine Submission
You have a great web site, but no one knows it even exists? You have come to the right place. Add Me! lets you do a web site submission to the top 14 search engines and directory for free."

It does not need to cost money

Somedays you're the dog,
Somedays you're the lamp post.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1078 by albertw
We are already in the search engines. It's the first match if you search for irish astronomy. Its been a few years since I've bothered looking into search engine technology so I dont know how they rank now, but perhaps Bart, when he has some time, can see if there are any meta tags that can be added. Perhaps at least have the word `Ireland` on the front page.

Hopefully when we get the ILPAC media machine off the ground mentioning the ILPAC website will draw people here too.

As for money, you can spend as much or as little as you like to get the sponsored link on google, yahoo etc. will list you faster if you pay them, and dmoz.org is free but have never replied to any submission ive ever made :)

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds