K-Tec

Open Letter to AI/A&S

More
20 years 3 months ago #1791 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Open Letter to AI/A&S

I named the shop and gave the the Irishastronomy.com link for more prices but this did not get mentioned...pity

Thanks for trying to plug the site Conor, and well done on getting a mention on the show.

You're right in the other things you say, this is all about consumer choice and awareness. It's about letting people know what all their purchase options are and what all the prices are, and then they can decide.

If they want to spend their money with A&S Ltd. at that point, it's up to them. At least they will be making an informed decision.

John.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #1811 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Open Letter to AI/A&S
Hi Conor,
I was listening to that same report on the radio about inflated prices in general in this country when it occured to me that maybe I should text in or email in just saying something about those scopes in dublin when I heard your letter been read out, the presenter read out all the details of the scope and sounded abit shocked by the price differance...
Good one.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
20 years 3 months ago #1917 by Jofus
Replied by Jofus on topic AI and members
Hi folks.

Although not involved in astronomy for some five years or so I used to be active and involved with many groups in the amateur field.

An idea occured to me while reading this thread that might prove stimulating. Its just that - an idea! So feel free to agree/disagree as you will. Im not even sure I completely agree myself as it smacks of oversimplification.

I suspect that AI members fall (in general) into two classes.

The 'passing fad' amateur who will not sustain their interest. All clubs get these and why not! They have as much right as anyone else and their interest is no less legitimate just because it moves on to something else (who knows in years to come they may well return). Perhaps because of the agressive marketing of AI they get a higher proportion of this type of member than other groups?

The amateur with the longer/deeper interest (notice I did NOT say the 'real' amateur). I SUSPECT (without I admit anything more than anecdotal evidence) that after a period of time these members move to (or also join) one of the other bodies IAS,SDAS,IAA,EAAS etc etc.

In case you think I am anti AI I regularily gave public lectures for them taking a years free membership in lieu of a fee including their first ever public lecture in DCU. I know David Moore and ,dammit, like the guy. He has faults and foibles as do we all and irrespective of motives he has raised the profile of astronomy in Ireland. Has he turned some people off astronomy? Undoubtedly but then almost every group has at some time or another. Is he trying to make a living out of astronomy? Yep! But then if you could wouldnt you?

I wish AI every success but I would not buy a telescope from them or recommend to anyone else to do so. Would I recommend anyone to join AI? If it was their closest venue and convenient for them yes I certainly would AND have done on many occasions over twenty years when working at Armagh Planetarium although I always mentioned the alternatives.

Should we stop the bitching and get on with it?
GOD NO NO NO!

The bitching is great fun and enriches all our lives (yes even Davids and hes a big enough boy to take it) so I say:-
Keep bitching and get on with it!!!!!

Bottom line!

Ireland is a small island but nevertheless there is room for us all.

All comments, thoughts and even flames (sigh) welcome.

Regards

John Flynn

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

More
20 years 3 months ago #1920 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Open Letter to AI/A&S
Wow. That's a breath of fresh air. Isn't it nice to get some perspective on these things. Thanks Jofus.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
20 years 3 months ago #1924 by Jofus
Replied by Jofus on topic Re: Open Letter to AI/A&S
No problem Shane.

I have been out of touch for some years now after a career shift (wish Id done it years ago) and have missed all the gossip.

By the way I hope to go to the AI lecture in early feb and yes I'll be paying my non members fee! (My God thats the first time in thirty years I'll have paid for an astronomy lecture!)

Mabey I can catch up with some juicy gossip then!!!! :wink:

John Flynn

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds