K-Tec

Web Strike - 1st of June

More
19 years 11 months ago #2943 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Web Strike - 1st of June
For what it's worth I want to row in behind Al here. Maybe this isn't the place for a protest on European copyright laws. Striking would really be just spiting ourselves, especially with the increased traffic that's to be expected coming up to the transit.

Protest; Yes.
Strike; No.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 10 months ago #2983 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Web Strike - 1st of June
I would have to disagree with Al.

We are users of free software, free software is hindered by software patents as is software written by small software firms (like mine!).

Some of you may be interested in this talk recently held on this very subject in trinity college: www.minds.may.ie/stallman.php

This is not an IFAS policy, this is a Bart policy! I do this voluntarily and put a lot of time into this place. I feel very strongly about this and I want to do this. I decided to give the users a say on this so here is the poll and what ever it says will go (the result can be Vetoed by the IFAS committee if they want).

The temporary page I would put up on the day of te strike wouldl contain a link to the www.venustransit.ie and the venus transit logo.

Bart B.,
IFAS webmaster.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 10 months ago #2994 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Web Strike - 1st of June
In that case I would like to ask the IFAS committe to veto this proposal in advance and formalise the procedure for this type of action in future.

Not knocking Bart, but I understood that this site was being devleoped for the IFAS along the lines that your proposal set out over a year ago, the proposal which was appoved by the IFAS committee. I dont think this extends to giving you the right to take a personal protest against something using this site. (ok yes you have the passwords, which arguably gives you the right to do anything!).

Again I'm not knocking Bart, or the vast amount of hard work thats gone into the site, I just strongly disagree about this strike. :)

Cheers,
~Albert

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 10 months ago #2997 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Web Strike - 1st of June
Fair enough.

Consider it a request for a favour for me from the users. I feel very strongly about this and I also think that it affects the users of IFAS becaue we will always be reliant on free software which is threatened by software idea paptents.

I would just like to re-iterate that I would never dream of abusing the "power" I have on this site.

Bart B.,
IFAS Webmaster.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 10 months ago #3016 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Web Strike - 1st of June
Given that people here seem to understand what this protest is about and judging by Bart's poll being very much in favor of this protest going ahead, surely democracy should hold true? Really, if people don't want to support this go ahead and vote against it!!!

This site would not exist without the use of free software, and not only that, a lot of astro related free software (registax etc) could also be affected. This is important.

Dostoevsky once wrote that "in the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, 'Make us your slaves, but feed us.'"

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

More
19 years 10 months ago #3017 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Web Strike - 1st of June
I am for this strike.

Firstly, the strike is a full week before the transit, if it were 2/3/4 days before, then I'd say no.

Secondly, June 1st is on a Tuesday, they'd be more activity on a weekend day, Tuesday might not be busy until the evening ??

Maybe on the strike page, you'd have 1 liners for each club, simply each web address ??, would that be enough for the anti--strikers ??

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds