K-Tec

Scanning for Shuttle & ISS transmissions

More
16 years 6 months ago #53653 by albertw

Is there any way I could conect one of these devices to a PC? Thinking of radio astronomy here...

Possible but with a scanner all you'll be able to do is detect the sun. Even with a small dish and a receiver you will manage to perhaps detect the crab and perhaps get a basic fix on the milky way.

What I did manage to do a few years back was to grab some satellite weather images from satellites. Hardly worth the effort with the internet. I hardly ever even listen to shortwave anymore now.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #53718 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Scanning for Shuttle & ISS transmissions

Eh... 145MHz is not CB. Perhaps some amateur station?

I don't think it's to do with a station. I get conversations almost every day on that frequency (145.650) from people (all blokes so far) around Ireland (in their car, at home... it's like Yahoo Chat for scanners!)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 6 months ago #53722 by albertw

I don't think it's to do with a station. I get conversations almost every day on that frequency (145.650) from people (all blokes so far) around Ireland (in their car, at home... it's like Yahoo Chat for scanners!)

As in an amateur station not a pirate station! If you hear them referring to themselves as "Echo India" something or other, asking for QTH's rather than asking where they are, and ending conversations with 73 rather than saying best regards your are listening to amateur transmissions :-) More info at www.irts.ie

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 6 months ago #53723 by jhoare
And it's cheaper than using your mobile... but remember that you MUST HAVE a license and call sign to transmit.

Whatever else you may do, never intrude on air, maritime, emergency services or military bands unless you belong there or need to transmit a genuine Mayday. Doing so can mean jail time. In theory you shouldn't be able to buy the necessary transmitter but the theory doesn't always match the facts.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
16 years 6 months ago #53724 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Scanning for Shuttle & ISS transmissions

In theory you shouldn't be able to buy the necessary transmitter but the theory doesn't always match the facts.

It's like the law with these scanners... It is not illegal to own one, but it is illegal to use it (to listen in on sensitive frequenscies!)

:roll:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 6 months ago #53725 by jhoare
Nobody uses radio for sensitive calls any more. A prepaid mobile phone with custom scrambler software installed is much more secure :)

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds