fire in dunsink

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 6 months ago #5100 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: fire in dunsink

Now with the fire and the uncertainty over the future of Dunsink a proposal is made to the powers that be that the entire area be sold off and either demolished to make way for new apartments or even turned into some hotel or something like that.

From what I understand much of the surrounding land has already been sold off for development so there is nothing new there. The main building is a listed building so it can't be demolished. The observatory is not, which is why any campaign will be to protect the observatory dome.

Within a couple of years the area will have new housing estates, apartments, and an extended golf course. This is already happening, and given the state of the area Iwoudn't mind it being developed.

Assuming the council has any concept of planning the observatory and main building area could be the focus of the local library & school which would benefit everyone. I'm working on a letter about that (ok ok mainly because if we can push it in that direction I can argue for FCO's in all of west Dublin).

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds