K-Tec

fire in dunsink

More
19 years 6 months ago #5086 by BrianOHalloran
Replied by BrianOHalloran on topic Re: fire in dunsink
Hi everyone.

Just been talking to Evert Meurs, thankfully the fire caused only very minor damage to the Lodge, which for those who don't know Dunsink, is located right next to the front gate. No damage to the main Observatory, or to Dunsink House where the researchers are based. The Gardai are watching the observatory tonight, and an increased security presence will be in place from tomorrow.

Clear skies.

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5087 by BrianOHalloran
Replied by BrianOHalloran on topic Re: fire in dunsink
Just in response to Al's post, it is linked to the protestors, according to the Gardai. They tried to set the Lodge (which is unoccupied since William Dumpleton retired six months ago) alight when they returned to the encampment this evening.

Brian

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 6 months ago #5088 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: fire in dunsink
scotsman.com:

A protest group from the travelling community caused rush hour chaos tonight after they blocked off a section of a main Dublin road.

The protest, which began on Monday, brought traffic to a standstill along the Navan Road in west Dublin.

The 60-strong group were highlighting a decision by Dublin City Council to stop widespread dumping by closing off an access road leading to their homes at Dunsink Lane in Finglas.

A garda spokesman said: “There was some stone throwing and cars were hit but there were no reports of anyone injured. There were around 60 people protesting at the Auburn Avenue side and there were around 250 out earlier today.”

A meeting between the protesters, who claimed they are not responsible for the dumping, and the council ended without agreement today.

The group claimed they will continue their protest tomorrow.

The garda spokesman warned the protest could move towards the M50 motorway and more delays were likely.

Gardai also confirmed two units of the Dublin fire brigade were called to a fire at the Gate Lodge House at Dunsink Observatory.

The spokesman said: “I don’t think it was gutted and there was also a car burnt out at the same location. The scene has been preserved for technical examination tomorrow morning.”

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 6 months ago #5095 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: fire in dunsink
This will be a long running saga, and I think it was publicity Dunsink could have done without!

Still, its not fair, whether those Travellers are responsible or not, the amount of dumping down that lane is downright disgraceful. I am NOT a biased person, but it is known that Travellers are responsible for the dumping, and now they have caused grief on their community with the Council's decision to close off the lane. I drover down it all the way once, and it was actually scary! Unfortunately, with my way of thinking after seeing the destruction down there, I was afraid I was going to be carjacked!

Its going to be a never ending dispute.

And now this thorn in Dunsinks side...

:roll:

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5098 by spaceboy
Replied by spaceboy on topic Re: fire in dunsink
Hi Everybody,

Just want to throw out this thought that I've had to the thread.

The fire at Dunsink Might not have been caused by the Travellers but rather by a group hired by property developers to clear the area and make it more easy to have the area redeveloped.

By setting the gate lodge on fire and pinning the blame on the travellers they hope to get the council and gardai to force these people out off the area resulting in it becoming available for development. Now with the fire and the uncertainty over the future of Dunsink a proposal is made to the powers that be that the entire area be sold off and either demolished to make way for new apartments or even turned into some hotel or something like that.

It's has occured in the past at locations all around the country and who's to say that it could not happen at Dunsink?

I would hate to see Dunsink closed down. I've many happy memories of the place, but I've a feeling this will unfortunatly happen.

Any comments on this?

Spaceboy

More
19 years 6 months ago #5099 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: fire in dunsink
Although what you say is possible Space Boy I really hope you are wrong and that your theory can be written off as just another conspiracy theory. *crosses fingers*

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds